Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: CALL OR FOLD?!?!?!?!?
CALL!!!! 19 57.58%
FOLD!!! 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Sig Sauer P226 9mm

I have too say that I have replaced the 44 with the new S&W 500 4".
Old 10-31-2005, 04:07 PM

Eyes closed is great training for anything physical.

P.S. on another subject, if it's defense you're after, a big dog is far more intimidating to most people than the idea that you may or may not have a gun. People can talk themselves into all kinds of things, but fear of a deep-throated bark and growl and being torn up by an animal is pure, down home visceral stuff that can't be shaken out of your system. And it's just as good at protecting your stuff and your loved ones when you're not home as when you are. Makes a hell of an alarm system, too.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:08 PM

I find the cycling of the action on a pump shotgun does a much better job.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to learn marksmanship, get competent instruction

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Shooting does not lend itself to a do-it-yourself learning process. At least if you want to learn safe and tactically sound techniques.

[ QUOTE ]
get a .22

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad advice. Get the gun you plan to use to defend yourself with, and train with it.

Plinking guns like the Ruger Mark II are very different from a "self defense gun" and its controls (magazine release, safety, slide stop, etc.) are all different. They are also, frankly, not well optimized for shooting.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the bigger cartridges go through a lot of walls and can kill a neighbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tons of myth and misinformation here. All handgun rounds will penetrate drywall and internal support. This is why shot placement is critical. To the extent that you're concerned about over-penetration, you should investigate ammunition like the Glaser Safety Slug. But for the most part, absent specialized environments like pressurized aircraft, a standard jacketed hollow point round will do the trick regardless of caliber.

[ QUOTE ]
You only need enough power to protect yourself, not go on to kill your neighbor's daughter after a hit or miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

More flawed thinking. You are confusing shot placement with terminal ballistics. If you want to kill somebody, shoot them with the biggest caliber you can, as many times as possible, in the brain/center-of-mass, in as short a period of time as possible. The key is making your hits. Only hits count, and this has NOTHING to do with caliber.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I've read that 9 mm. is great for this. It doesn't have the highest stopping power on the planet, but loses power quickly after piercig a thing or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another myth. 9mm is a fine caliber, as is .40, as is .45ACP, as is .38 Special. Making your hits is what kills people, not the terminal ballistics of the round. I personally like 9mm and .40 caliber, but not because of terminal ballistics. I like the fact that the magazines are higher capacity than .45 ACP. The ammunition is also cheaper.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for defense get a defensive gun. thats means different things to different people.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Clint Smith says, the reason to own a handgun is so you can shoot your way to your rifle.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i carry a s&w 340 black titanium 357 12 ounce five shot gun in my back pocket for short jaunts.
in the woods its a 44 magnum s&w mountain revolver four ince barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love you.

This thread makes me want a gun.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:25 PM

Please, become a better poster before you do FYP. Better yet, skip it entirely.

You can indeed learn to shoot well on a .22. It's asinine to suggest otherwise.

This doesn't mean that instruction isn't a good idea, but that has nothing to do with a "fixing" of what I said. Jeez, take your head out of your ass.

Your whole post was entirely ass. Instead of being a smart aleck jerk, you should say something like, I have additional points to make, not pretend your points are in contradiction to someone else's. In the brief time I've seen you posting, you have completely sucked and it's only getting worse.

Try something like this next time, in addition to going to hell:

Training helps also. Shot placement helps also. Etc. etc. Not that these points aren't completely frigging obvious! Please, whatever you've got a hard-on for, don't make it me. Stand up on your own two feet when you want to make a post.

I can't even begin to properly express my disgust at your posting and whole attitude, so I'll end this post now.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM

So for those that have spent some time shooting, what kind of technique do you use? Have you actually had training or self-taught? Instructors/schools you think are good?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find the cycling of the action on a pump shotgun does a much better job.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of a story.

I'm in my 2nd story apartment reading when I hear some scuffling outside my door. I look out the window and see some black guy out on my balcony that I don't know. I grab my Glock 21, walk up to the door and loudly chamber a round. Look out the window and blacky is hustling down the stairs.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM

Yikes, looks like I have a lot of reading up to do here on training methodology and choice of weapon...any suggestions of specific books/manuals/periodicals/whatever?

Also, I'm so happy that Ray Zee replied to my thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]