Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: 50-100 hand

[ QUOTE ]
3- or 4-handed. Folded to me in the SB and I make it 300 with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. KKF calls in the BB. I have about 17000 and he covers.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet 600 and he calls.

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet 1800 and he makes it 5600. I call 3800.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pot is 13000. I have about 10500 left and go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand, if you indeed had 79ss, scares the hell out of me and also shows the reason why I wont step foot in those games.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 PM

then he should call with 9/10 too right?

[ QUOTE ]
This is the problem with playing shorthanded against a top player in a big NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i wasn't clear, "insta" was a stretch to me. i honestly don't know what i would do but it probably wouldn't be instant.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:13 PM

I don't think kane calls a turn push. Gog is either getting funky with a draw that is probably not a huge dog even with one card to come, or he is totally fcked. I guess if the two had been sparring enough there's nothing wrong with making a stand, but I feel like if Gog pushes the turn Kane will fold.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:47 PM

i also dont understand why a turn push wont "work often enough"

the river is scary, yes, but why would you push with a flush?

youre representing a full house, and not a flush

now, this means you have everything or nothing and CAN be picked off as a bluff, whereas you might be pushing the turn with various hands that are not EVERYTHING but still ahead of your opponents hand range

also, if you really do nearly always play sets hard on the turn then this makes the play even worse

thoughts on how you would have interpreted a turn push, Kane?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't want to play a big pot here, frankly, especially with somebody who's been on a heater

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this concept is an important one and is never really talked about on this board...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... I feel like just about every decent 25/50 or 50/100 post talks about this. Every single decent post discusses what gear opponents are in and what has been happening lately, whether they've taken a beat lately or note, been shown a bluff, etc. I feel like this is the most basic of concepts.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If GoG's range of hands is so wide, with the pot as big as it's gotten (for lots of reasons), isn't an instacall the only way to play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You and other who think a top player's hand range is "so wide" in this spot given the action are quite wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying you'd like calling, but I think that's all you can do. This is the problem with playing shorthanded against a top player in a big NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top players make their money in this game by getting players to call w/ any Ace here, not by running huge bluffs. Sometimes, of course, things line up rightly for big bluffs and good players take advantage of those spots.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't want to play a big pot here, frankly, especially with somebody who's been on a heater

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this concept is an important one and is never really talked about on this board...

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, AZK, if you were paying attention, I made this point right at the beginning of this thread.

KKF: This is a really easy call with AK imho.

Diablo: These are the words of a man running very good against idiots.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 PM

I know it sounds contrary to what I wrote before, but I would tend to agree with you completely. Things seem out of whack on this hand, but all the more reason that I figure that the best thing to do for GoG is to wait. Part of the reason that top players get paid, is that there is always doubt, deserved or otherwise. This is a sketchy board and gets into many levels of thinking, if they are availible. Since the pot is so large at this point, I think you have to call it at times. Of course, I don't think the pot should have ever gotten that big if an A is the hand. This is one of those things that I can't really communicate well, but you would get it (and agree, I'm sure) if we were talking about it in person.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:14 PM

I remember but it didn't click at that time...I meant this is never brought up in a 5/10, 10/20 hand...carry on....
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM

If I had T9, I would never have to worry about it. The money would have already been in on the turn. I'm not exactly thrilled with seeing those rivers and having a pot sized bet left.