View Poll Results: Best move
Fold 0 0%
Limp (100) 3 37.50%
Raise (350) 4 50.00%
Raise (other) 1 12.50%
All-in (1410) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Should I move in w/ Drug Dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
I've roomed with drug dealers before. The can be as nice as anyone else, and more financially responsible than most.

The problem is, if they go down, you go down, for sure. Drugs aren't an issue that has anything to do with fairness in this country. Tell the judge you weren't involved, even if everyone backs you up, and it will go nowhere. Whatever they're guilty of, you're guilty of.

And if the house gets torn up and has things seized, that's going to affect your life too.

On a more day to day level, you'll have to get used to people coming in and out of your place all the time, including many you would rather not even see, much less let into your place. Keep your stuff well hidden and your room door locked. Be sure to have a separate phone, as you don't want to have to answer the phone for pot inquiries and arrangements every five minutes. It gets really old really fast.

And prepare to have your food unaccountably disappear on a regular basis, and without being paid back for it. Come home late and hungry and not wanting to cook, and it can be a pisser than your food just got crammed down someone else's face, and without so much as a thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you.know.everything.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Seriously, this guy is selling relatively large amounts of weed. Not only could he be caught, but it sounds like he is supplying multiple dealers - and obvioulsy connected to a bigger fish. Stay away
Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've roomed with drug dealers before. The can be as nice as anyone else, and more financially responsible than most.

The problem is, if they go down, you go down, for sure. Drugs aren't an issue that has anything to do with fairness in this country. Tell the judge you weren't involved, even if everyone backs you up, and it will go nowhere. Whatever they're guilty of, you're guilty of.

And if the house gets torn up and has things seized, that's going to affect your life too.

On a more day to day level, you'll have to get used to people coming in and out of your place all the time, including many you would rather not even see, much less let into your place. Keep your stuff well hidden and your room door locked. Be sure to have a separate phone, as you don't want to have to answer the phone for pot inquiries and arrangements every five minutes. It gets really old really fast.

And prepare to have your food unaccountably disappear on a regular basis, and without being paid back for it. Come home late and hungry and not wanting to cook, and it can be a pisser than your food just got crammed down someone else's face, and without so much as a thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you.know.everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Blarg wrote an autobiography, I would read it. That is all.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anybody answering "yes" to this poll has clearly never been there when the cops busted in on his roomates for selling weed.

(except IndieMatty, I guess)

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is not true.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Makes about 6K a week

[/ QUOTE ]

this is bullshit, even if this is santa cruz, there's no way someone is moving that much, and if he is, you DO NOT want to be living with him.

that much money starts turning people into killers.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't think drug dealers are the most honest of characters.

[/ QUOTE ]

a famous quote:

"To live outside the law you must be honest."

I've spent lots of time in everything to orthodox religious circles, elite academia, and hanging out with everybody from marines to drug dealers.

The most honest man I know was a drug dealer.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 PM

no goddamn way
1. they might get jacked (you'd be caught in there regardless of lack of involvement)

2. they might get raided/arrested if something goes down, once again, you might get dragged inr egardless of actual activity.

free pot? i'd rather have peace of mind.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM

No one can answer this for you.

Here are some things to think about. If he is grossing 6K a week then he is selling somewhere around 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. a week. In QPs and Os that's a good number of transactions. If he is netting 6K a week then he is selling at least 3lbs and maybe 5. That's a lot more transactions. Obviously the more transactions the more people know. Apparently, there are 4 of you and the dealer is one of the renters from one of your other roommate's parents. Having more roommates means more people know. These are all negatives. For me, one of the most important factors would be how risk averse I judged all of these people to be. Do they keep their mouth shut? Does pretty much everyone know what's going on? How many others know about his girl's grow?

Go to a large bookstore and check out Marijuana Law by Richard Glen Boire. Look at what the state penalties are for the amount of weight he may be holding at the place. See how those penalties are effected by a quantity of cash also found at the location. Does he keep the cash there? Does your buddy have a gun? How about the roommates? In many states that will increase the possible penalties. Almost certainly he is holding weights that will trigger mandatory minimums in federal court. It is very unlikely that the feds would get involved in a case that small but become aware of all the possibilities. California is one of the most liberal states when it comes to marijuana laws so that is a positive and I think Santa Cruz can also be considered liberal. That being said there is a limit as to how liberal anyone is going to get with felonies.

How aggressive is the crowd around all your roommates? Violence is not real common around weed dealers but a robbery (different from a burglary) is much worse than a bust. A sketchy crowd would be a factor I would consider especially since I think the smart play for a dealer is to not own a gun.

It's a gamble. If you accept that things can break bad and the likelihood of that happening then you have your answer. Make sure that you are OK with the penalties before you go into it. Educate yourself, think through the consequences and then allow your gut to tell you whether this is a risk that is right or wrong for you.

regards,

raisins
Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He makes $300K a year, and he's looking to make an extra $2400 by renting out a room? Very suspicious. Stay away kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument doesn't float.

If you've got an extra room and can make more money by renting it out, why the hell not?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He makes $300K a year, and he's looking to make an extra $2400 by renting out a room? Very suspicious. Stay away kid.

[/ QUOTE ]
What, you think he's going to roll OP and take his stuff? That doesn't fly by your logic. What exactly should OP be "suspicious" of?

There are a number of concerns, but I don't think a single one of them involves the drug dealer stealing stuff from OP.

Also, it sounded to me like the OP was going to live in the trailer on the property, not the main house. This changes things.