Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Jack\'s Track of the Day Thread

Also, I don't see how this is emo and Bloc Party isn't, especially when they have songs like This Modern Love, Tulips, Blue Light, and So Here We Are in their collection. Granted I'm pointing out singles, but that's all this is. Granted, that's all you have to go on, but, you know, just saying...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Jack\'s Track of the Day Thread

Well, apparantly my last selection didn't go so well, so now I'm going to shoot as far away from "emo" as I possibly can, although the Wolf Parade track probably cuts into it, a little, but first...

I've decided that I can't stand up to Jack's writing skills, so I'm going to stop trying, and I don't want to steal from a review site or anything, so I won't do that either, but I may provide some facts or something. I feel like I have to in the case of Amadou and Mariam whose story IS pretty interesting seeing as how they're both blind and they're married to each other. There's a bunch of other stuff I suppose you can look up, but um...yeah, they're both blind. Anyway, Coulibaly is a very upbeat song and should be readily accessible. It's got some afro-beat in it backed with some very cool guitar and most certainly not emo.

Amadou & Mariam - Coulibaly

The Kills are a one guy, one girl band using just the guitar and drums and so sometimes they get compared to the White Stripes. The comparisons are pretty unfair since these guys bring the rock when the White Stripes bring some other stuff I don't even know what to call it. Fried My Little Brains might not be a "good" song, but I'm still calling dibs on using it for the bank robbery scene in that film I'll someday make when I get around to it. I'm posting the live version just because of the "crunch" which feels missing from the album cut. I hope you enjoy it. Also, there's some recorded stuff at the beginning you can feel free to skip through. Music starts at 0:50.

The Kills - Fried My Little Brains

Ok, Wolf Parade's "I'll Believe in Anything" probably breaches into the traditional terms of "emo" but that's why I want to punch emo in the face...because it's such a broad term. Get past the slightly jarring opening synth and you get rewarded with a very swell little riff and some distinct vocals. Get further into the song and let the layers of guitar and drums build and you get to a rousing conclusion when the tempo picks up. Great song and doesn't sound anything like We Are Scientists so hopefully if you complain, it'll be for something else.

Wolf Parade - I'll Believe in Anything

Whatevs, enjoy.