Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Dealers most hated and stiff report

Sounds like so much anger on this thread. My opinion is that in tournaments, they should take maybe one or two percentage of the prize pool and give it to the dealers and make it explicit that no additional tipping is expected. I hate the implicit or explicit pressure to tip. I once felt I was pressured into tipping what I thought was too much and resented it.

Regarding ring games, I believe it is part of the social contract that dealers get tipped. If a dealer's particularly bad, then he should be stiffed, but otherwise it should be considered as part of the cost of playing, like the rake.

But at the very least, all dealers should be treated with respect and decency, just like all players should be. And if you read the OP's complaints, I think he signaled out those two not only because they stiff him, but primarily because they're massive A-holes to the dealers. They have what I would characterize as very un-American (not intending to be racist, but I believe part of it is cultural) attitudes about superiority/inferiority and the acceptable abuse/treatment of 'inferiors'.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:36 PM

I'm waiting for Mr.Pink to chime in at any moment. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

As for the topic at hand, in my limited experience with dealers, it seems like they love dealing at the low limit games because the tips are greater. It makes sense to me since the games seem to be friendlier and the players more intoxicated.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Nothing like being unbiased.

5k on a win of how much?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think most athletes are good people? Most are somewhere along the lines of Kenny Rogers. Its just the way of the world, very few people in this world can remain grounded when they get fame and fortune. Im sure not all famous poker players are bad, you just picked the Kenny Rogers's of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, pick on a guy who's played for over 15 seasons and who had one bad incident. Jesus Ch**** you are stupid. Sitting here telling this guy WHO HAS APPARENTLY MET JC and FARHA that HE IS WRONG, and yet you liken those players to Kenny Rogers, who you've never met.

Don't be a grade-A d**che.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also people can have bad days you know. Some days people just dont feel like dealing with crap it happens maybe you caught them on a bad day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh! Yet KR has "a bad day" and now you dub him public enemy number 1??

F*** you. "The Kenny Rogers of Poker". Jesus.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is very true. Some of them (who won't be named here) not only don't tip, they play a game where they see if they can cut the dealer's hand when they muck their cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, how horrific. How degrading. Does the winner get to urinate on the dealer, too?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 PM

Why isn't this (now thoroughly hijacked) thread locked? The universe has enough tipping threads.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5k on a win of how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

1.15 m, i realize it isn't a big tip relative to the win, but with how much was taken out of the prize pool already, i felt this was more than adequate, and if its not going to be appreciated or im gonna be made to feel like an ass for *only* tipping 5k id rather keep it
Old 10-24-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
J Chan and Sammy are the worst humans to play the game

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't surprise me very much. I remember from the 2002 WSOP Farha snarled at a dealer after losing a pot where he was out kicked, and I assume he was on his best behavior for camera. It mystifies me why professional gamblers who thoroughly understand the odds get upset at dealers when they are catching bad cards. What sort of behavior do you specifically see from them?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5k on a win of how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

1.15 m, i realize it isn't a big tip relative to the win, but with how much was taken out of the prize pool already, i felt this was more than adequate, and if its not going to be appreciated or im gonna be made to feel like an ass for *only* tipping 5k id rather keep it

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, main event. Congrats. I agree w/ your sentiments completely. If I recall correctly, there was a tip taken out in addition to the tourney fee. Anything you give on top of that is generous on your part and should be appreciated as such. Sure, 5k is not much compared to 1.15m, but in absolute terms, 5k is a lot of money. Some CEO worth $100M shows up to play some blackjack and tips them $5k, they'll definitely appreciate it a lot. If the tip taken out was 2% (I thought it was something like that), I dunno, maybe I would have left $10k in your spot, but whatever. I'm sure leaving 10k on 1.15M would have been looked at as a cheapskate too by a lot of these dealers.