Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: \"Rocky Balboa\" (Rocky VI is being made)

[ QUOTE ]
Stallone should concentrate on 19 more seasons of The Contender. That's the only reality series I watched more than one episode of.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
Done deal. Its moving to ESPN next year.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stallone should concentrate on 19 more seasons of The Contender. That's the only reality series I watched more than one episode of.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this statement is ignorant or naive, but the thing that turns me off about the Contender is this: if the boxers were any good, wouldn't they just make it without the show anyway? Why do I want to watch fighters that would get chewed up by actual pros?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this statement is ignorant or naive, but the thing that turns me off about the Contender is this: if the boxers were any good, wouldn't they just make it without the show anyway? Why do I want to watch fighters that would get chewed up by actual pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

the fighters were 'up and comers' in amateur boxing, with real records. many had fought each other the past. they could certainly benefit from the direction and training offered to them, perhaps enough to motivate them to take it to the next level when it might not have otherwise been possible (job committments, feeling of impossibility, lack of money, etc).

i think it was close to being a great show.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the fighters were 'up and comers' in amateur boxing, with real records. many had fought each other the past. they could certainly benefit from the direction and training offered to them, perhaps enough to motivate them to take it to the next level when it might not have otherwise been possible (job committments, feeling of impossibility, lack of money, etc).

i think it was close to being a great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was completely unaware of that... I might look into it on DVD.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 PM

Why is the show moving to ESPN? I mean, are they getting better money, or is it something else?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the show moving to ESPN? I mean, are they getting better money, or is it something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my understanding that NBC did not renew it. The audience was not large enough for a major network prime time slot but that same audience would be extremely good for a cable network.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM

Wow, I'm surprised. I had thought the show was really popular, probably because I read OOT and boxing sites and they always talked it up. Next thing you're gonna tell me is that SIIHP isn't universally thought of as a laff riot.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 PM

In one way, that explains why the acting was so bad. The casting director couldn't exactly speak up and have him replaced with the complaint: "Hey, we should replace that awful kid with someone who can act like they love you", lest he risk losing his career.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 PM

There better be another kick ass street brawl
Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 PM

I think it's actually a decent concept for the franchise.

Think about it... a realistically worn down Rocky looks back at his life, misses the glory, just wants to fight a few side fights to relive it all... out of the limelight.

Then someone gets wind... starts whipping up Rocky's comeback as a huge PR thing.... coerces Rocky to participate. It all ends tragically.

It could be good.