Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 10-13-2005, 07:13 PM
jason_t jason_t is offline
Senior Member

Location: Another downswing?
Default Re: Compare and Contrast: SimCity 4 and Civ 3

[ QUOTE ]

You just campaign it or did you play multiplayer at all for the earlier ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played AOE1 but I multiplayed AOE2, CIV3 and RON a lot before I discovered poker. Then I sort of fell out of playing video games.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:17 PM
gumpzilla gumpzilla is offline
Senior Member

I haven't played SimCity 4, and I just bought Civ 3 Complete a few weeks ago with a similar itch. I've played quite a bit of it, and it's fun, but I've yet to actually finish a game, since I've yet to really feel like I was kicking the appropriate amount of ass when entering the Middle Ages. The game bogs down pretty heavily pretty quickly; I found Alpha Centauri to be much better in terms of a relatively quick gaming experience.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Dynasty Dynasty is offline
Senior Member

Location: Las Vegas

[ QUOTE ]

The reason I got on this kick was because I messed around with Roller Coaster Tycoon at a friend's place, and I kinda enjoy the whole building/planning aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really sounds like SimCity is the game for you. Civ may be a better game. But, it's not exactly what you want.

If you were looking for the best baseball game, you wouldn't go out and buy a Madden game simply because it's better than any baseball game available.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 PM
jon_1van jon_1van is offline
Member

Location: Silver Spring MD

You just campaign it or did you play multiplayer at all for the earlier ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played AOE1 but I multiplayed AOE2, CIV3 and RON a lot before I discovered poker. Then I sort of fell out of playing video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try Starcraft and more importantly Warcraft3. Both great....how is AOE3?....its hard to see how game play works from the screenshots
Old 10-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Blarg Blarg is offline
Senior Member

civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

My life will simultaneously get a whole lot better and a whole lot worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with this assessment on the impact of Civ games. They're not a game, they're a lifestyle.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Blarg Blarg is offline
Senior Member

[ QUOTE ]
I played AOE2 networked with an ex-roommate and his girlfriend.

I made a happy little settlement that was all friendly and had farmers and had a modest army and then those hostile bastards came and crushed us when we didn't do nothing to them.

I was very sad.

It's an amazing looking game though and AOE3 looks even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

AOE 2 was great fun. I used to love playing that and watching movies of other people's strats.

I love that people can record their games in lots of these newer games. It can be like watching a great movie, with all the scenes cut out that you didn't want to see.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:52 PM
jason_t jason_t is offline
Senior Member

Location: Another downswing?

You just campaign it or did you play multiplayer at all for the earlier ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played AOE1 but I multiplayed AOE2, CIV3 and RON a lot before I discovered poker. Then I sort of fell out of playing video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try Starcraft and more importantly Warcraft3. Both great....how is AOE3?....its hard to see how game play works from the screenshots

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't get into those games; they are too sci-fi/fantasy based for my tastes.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Blarg Blarg is offline
Senior Member

Tbey're also RTS's, completely different genre, pace, and feel.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Freakin Freakin is offline
Senior Member

It's an amazing looking game though and AOE3 looks even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's going to be an AOE3? omg, I'm never going to finish my thesis. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It already went gold too.

[/ QUOTE ]

And is available RIGHT NOW on usenet & torrents.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably takes hours to download. I want satisfaction now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have it now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsgroups bitches... It seriously took me like 50 minutes to download.

Freakin
Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 PM
stabn stabn is offline
Senior Member

Location: Bellevue, Wa

It's an amazing looking game though and AOE3 looks even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's going to be an AOE3? omg, I'm never going to finish my thesis. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It already went gold too.

[/ QUOTE ]

And is available RIGHT NOW on usenet & torrents.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably takes hours to download. I want satisfaction now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have it now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsgroups bitches... It seriously took me like 50 minutes to download.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only knew how big a problem i have with this.