Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop

Okay no peeking at responses this time.

Villain’s range 22+,78s+,JQo+

Villain has at least a pair and a draw or nothing he can call a bet with.
I would bet 650-700 on this flop. I think the over bet causes the most confusion for Villain. He could easily interpret this as QQ,AQ,KQ,99 or TT trying to force him out of the pot. It also creates a big enough pot that if villain thinks his hand is good but not the nuts(or he thinks he can push me off my hand) he should move all-in and try to take the pot now. If he pushes I auto-call. I think the over bet is the best way to get action on this hand. If he calls he’s made a mistake unless he has QT.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would bet 650-700 on this flop. I think the over bet causes the most confusion for Villain. He could easily interpret this as QQ,AQ,KQ,99 or TT trying to force him out of the pot. It also creates a big enough pot that if villain thinks his hand is good but not the nuts(or he thinks he can push me off my hand) he should move all-in and try to take the pot now. If he pushes I auto-call. I think the over bet is the best way to get action on this hand. If he calls he’s made a mistake unless he has QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is not going to call this overbet unless he has at least two pair maybe he calls with KQ.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Yawn.... bet what you usually bet when you raise preflop.

-Jason
Old 10-12-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is not going to call this overbet unless he has at least two pair maybe he calls with KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he calls a smaller bet with less???

I think the overbet is the only way to get the hands you crush to put enough chips in to make up for the times your beat here. Because we're never getting away from this hand cheaply.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villain check-raises the flop, I think you've got to lay it.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

If he checkraises me here I do a little happy dance - then call hoping to eventually get all my chips in on the turn or river.

His range is not a concern to me as I am either way ahead or have outs to win/tie if behind. If it turns sour then so be it. I'm not folding this hand at this point under these circumstances.

I bet half the pot (300) to appear weak and attempt to elicit a raise from villian.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM

range of hands - 88-QQ
Any AXs
KQ
KJ

check and call/bet the turn regardless of the card
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain clearly has outs; I don't give him odds. The pot is a good % of my stack now, and I'd like to take it right now or to stack villain without having to see a scarecard first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. I'm ahead now, most aces held by an idiot call this anyway, all two pair hands get it in, at least 11 cards either kill the action or my hand...I'm playing this very strong all the way down until something convinces me not to.

edit: What villain has is not particularly important. On this flop, either he's going to give action or he's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What villain has is very important to us if he check/raises or check/calls us here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprisingly, not really. We're still ahead of half the stuff he does either with. If the turn is not a brick, you can try to narrow it down from there, but if he wants the chips in on the flop, they're gonna go in. You cannot fold this hand based solely on those three cards.

PS: If he checkraises, I'm pushing (after pretending to think about it), since KJ and even AQ call anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about not getting it in on the flop. I think the fact that his cards won't be clarified much by his actions is a good reason to play aggressively on the flop, but I think we should at least consider narrowing the range because maybe there's a line that's better after a call or raise than just pushing at the next opportunity. Keep in mind that we have position, so checking behind on a T or Q turn is a posibility.

Btw, I respect basically all of your advice on these forums.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:18 PM

HMmmm, I bet 450 here, and go all-in if he raises.

The worse thing I can imagine is a call, and a T or Q at turn...
I still don't know if I would reraise all-in a raise at the turn or if I should call in the hope to get a stack>=1200 after a second call at the river in the case I am smatched.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:42 PM

He's getting near 2/1 on the call, so any two above average cards are possible.

I bet. I'm worried about 4 hands, 3 of which I think would have raised me PF. I like to get cute here and bet 395, leaving exactly 2k behind. I'd have to know an awful lot about the BB to lay this down if I'm raised.

If he calls, then checks a non-queen, jack or ten turn, I'm 50/50 to either raise 800 or check behind. If I bet and get called, and he doesn't bet out on the river, I'll push since it's the only reasonable value bet I have. If I check behind on the turn, and no jack, ten or queen comes, I'll push if he bets or bet 800 if he checks (kicking myself for not betting the turn).
Old 10-12-2005, 05:52 PM

I've got to assume this is gonna get more interesting on later streets.....

Anyway, I put my opponent on something like A8s+, ATo+, KTs+, K9o+, QJs, QTo+, SCs 54+, 78o+, 22+. I don't necessarily exclude AA or KK for his range -- but there are far less likely, for obvious reasons.

I'd bet 1/2 pot, 300, and I'd probably call any C/R that isn't a push in order to give him another opportunity to bluff into me on the turn. I'd obviously call a C/R push.