Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: There IS a difference between Party and Pokerstars tournaments.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did not say that it is defective just different. They use a different RNG (pokerstars even uses the mouse movement in its algorithm) and therefore the distribution CAN NOT be identical.

[/ QUOTE ]
Random is random, doesn't matter where it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that even if the RNG's are different you would expect the actual number of each hand dealt to be statistically the same. In otherwords, the same number of AA, KK , AK etc. However, I asked whether you would expect the way they would appear against each other to be the same. Would AA always face KK the same number of times, etc. I did not know if that type of analysis had ever been performed. My contention was that maybe it was statistically different. But it was pointed out that about the same number of people complain about both sites.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To the OP: What is my current location?

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel better now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really? I didn't mean it. I was joking. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgiven [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You only start out winning at Party in the beginning.

When they turn the DOOM SWITCH on your account, then you are going to see the bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]This is why i recomend that all new players skip over the beginners tables and head right to the 100/200 tables for 2 weeks. Your gonna win anyway so you might as well make the most out of it. Then you head directly to the beginners tables and learn to play.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:14 AM

I'm going to back the original poster here. I switched to Party a month ago and the suckouts and runner runner's seem to be very rare and far between. I'm not a big stake player, only deposited $50, but had great success in the step and multi tournaments winning over $3500.

Compared to what I witnessed at Prima, it seems just different. I know, I know. Sample sizes etc...

I still get the 'Welcome new player, you can play on the beginner tables for 45 days' etc when I log in so maybe that's why I never see these runners [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to back the original poster here. I switched to Party a month ago and the suckouts and runner runner's seem to be very rare and far between. I'm not a big stake player, only deposited $50, but had great success in the step and multi tournaments winning over $3500.

Compared to what I witnessed at Prima, it seems just different. I know, I know. Sample sizes etc...

I still get the 'Welcome new player, you can play on the beginner tables for 45 days' etc when I log in so maybe that's why I never see these runners [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

*Sigh*

Old 10-07-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this syndrome (false pattern recognition) which seems to be really hardwired into us, is one of the reasons there will always be so many bad players. Even here where most folks are trying to learn how to play well, even sometimes with people who have been here a while and actually do know better, the instinct to see patterns is to strong to ignore.

And as they say in SSHE, that works against our normal learning process. You make the right decision and often get the wrong results. You make the wrong decision and sometimes get good results. And its the unusual, not the normal that sticks out in our mind.

So the bad player says, gee, I like to play Q-10 off (its a good blackjack hand after all) but not for a raise...but last three times I folded q-10 off I would've flopped a monster hand. Or, this is the third time I've gotten 9-7 off in the last six hands, that's gotta means something, I'm going to play it!!!!

Ya know, or whatever.

So maybe we should celebrate these "rigged" or posts as the part of the reason we keep winning without having to be that good.

--Zetack
Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 PM

I agree. I also sigh at rigged posts. If I thought online poker was rigged why would I play. I don't think it is, it's probably because you remember the beats more like Sklansky says in SSHE. I've read most books umpteen times, now reading the excellent Harrington book so I keep away from those QTo's [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] My sessions normally end with the obligatory Mr 17% & around 8-10% PFR. I've played 100's of thousands of hands online at a variety of different sites and I just think Party seems to have the right number of pairs holding up and suckouts etc...

It will probably give me a nightmare month now as I cashed out $3000 so I'll report back... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I also sigh at rigged posts. If I thought online poker was rigged why would I play. I don't think it is, it's probably because you remember the beats more like Sklansky says in SSHE. I've read most books umpteen times, now reading the excellent Harrington book so I keep away from those QTo's [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] My sessions normally end with the obligatory Mr 17% & around 8-10% PFR. I've played 100's of thousands of hands online at a variety of different sites and I just think Party seems to have the right number of pairs holding up and suckouts etc...

It will probably give me a nightmare month now as I cashed out $3000 so I'll report back... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't think the OP (me or is it I) is claiming anything is rigged because I haven't (read the whole tread).
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 PM

And here I thought we were going to have a good discussion on antes vs no antes in NL tournaments.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't think the OP (me or is it I) is claiming anything is rigged because I haven't (read the whole tread).

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't claim that, but you certainly suggest it. To your credit over the course of this thread you've gone, ok, the consensus seems to be that there isn't a problem and I'll accept that. Good for you. But you title your post "There IS a difference between Party and Pokerstars tournaments" and then in the body of your post it turns out the diffence is that you get repeatedly sucked out on at Stars and you don't at Party. Of course you're saying (originally at any rate) there's something wrong at Stars. Either that, or there's something wrong at Party but in a way that helps you.

And Mackem, when you say you don't see as many suckouts at Party as at Prima and that there is deffinitely a difference, how can that be anything but a rigged post? You're saying the cards aren't right at one of the sites.

What, now we're going to see buncha, I'm-not-saying-online--poker-is rigged-because-I know-its-not-but-its-just-not-quite-right-either posts?

--Zetack