Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Movies: most improbable sporting event/feat?

I hate Steven A. Smith.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert Redford yanking a homer into the lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I scanned through this whole thread and this was the only reference to "The Natural".

I was going to say Roy Hobbs hitting the cover off the baseball was more unrealistic. Or him smashing the glass out of a clock tower way up high. I think knocking the cover off the ball is the least feasible of the three.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're willing to count kung fu movies, which since they're all about athletics I think you should, then almost every one that comes out, especially now that wire work has gone from their secret shame to the norm.

Yeah... I am with this guy. Probably the scariest man I have ever seen is Sensei Suenaka. He was like a 70 year old man that could literally send people flying with little or no effort. (9th degree bb in Aikido)
I'll also volunteer the Karate Kid. Complete twerp achieves quick skill by learning from a fat old dude who doesn't really know martial arts or even remotely look like he could do anything athletic at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit that the Karate Kid's learning curve was extremely quick. 2 months is nowhere near enough to become even remotely proficient at any fighting art. However, I think you're way out to lunch on the last part of your quote.

I train in Kung Fu. I'm still a junior, but a lot of my instructors are, well, fat. Not just slightly, they are pretty overweight. The ones who aren't are very average looking guys, not buffed up or cut or anything. The emphasis at such senior levels of training is on your mind, so physical training falls by the wayside, I guess.

The amount of force these guys can deliver is mindblowing. Their extra weight really just gives them more power to use. Their speed is not hindered at all, they are lightning quick.

So I submit that not only is kung fu not about "athletics" at all, but how "athletic" someone looks is completely uncorellated with how quickly they could beat some ass.

And come on, Mr Myagi was just taking on a few punk kids. The dude fought in wars, I really don't think some mischevious teenagers are going to cause him much trouble. Furthermore, don't knock Mr Myagi. He's hardcore.

There, I've defended Mr Myagis honour. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tin Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie sucked, but it did feature a meal at the Waffle House (aka Awful Waffle), which is one of the things I miss about the South. Possibly the only thing.

Wait, thunderstorms. I miss them.

[/ QUOTE ]

waitress : "Sir.. how would you like your hashbrowns?"
ChipWrecked : "I'll have em slopped, chopped, diced, sliced, topped, smothered and covered please"

Mmmm the hashbrowns at the wAweful house are great!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-- Willie Mays Hayes scores from second on a bunt;

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought of. I don't even care that Taylor beat the bunt out; Hayes scores from second on a bunt single and there is no error on the play. Sooooo bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just recently, Marcus Giles, who isn't that fast, scored on a similar play from second without even a throw home. This play is very possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.. this was one of our designed plays when I was in HS.. used it twice in the season. Once successful and the other would have been too, but the guy running home tripped about 10ft from the plate and face planted.. he was out.. but was still pretty damn funny.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Mighty Ducks. A bunch of kids who can barely skate, and 5 years later they're all playing in the NHL!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Cruise, five foot six, getting a college scholarship to play Cornerback in All the Right Moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man.. totally possible!! Didn't you see Top Gun? He has mad hops! When thy played volleyball he was a spiking machine! Every point they got was a spike from him. Each time Goose spiked the ball it was dug out.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Cruise spiking multiple volleyballs in "Top Gun".

[/ QUOTE ]

This was one of the first things I thought of when I opened this thread.

Also would add Keanu Reeves learn to surf massive waves in the dark in 2 days in Point Break.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Color of Money" scene with Cruise dancing to Warren Zeevon, running the table, sinking all those balls, was also real. You can hear the crew applausing spontaneously.

[/ QUOTE ]

My DOG could run out the shots he had set up for him.

It always bothered me that Newman's reflection in the ball was shooting right-handed. His reflection should be lefty.

And while nit-picking and Major League have been prominent in this thread, let me point out the crowd for the playoff game in Cleveland, in October, was all wearing shorts and t-shirts--and was 60% senior citizens, 30% little kids, and 90% female.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Major League

there's no way that Indians team makes it to the ALCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or ANY Indians team for that matter [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]