Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: I want to get a cat

Depends entirely on the landlord in two ways.

First, is it anywhere on the lease? If it's not, will he think to suddenly put it on the lease when you ask, so it would be better off shutting up? If it is on the lease or he seems against it when talking to him, can you convince him otherwise? If you make a good impression, the landlord will sometimes bend the rules, especially if someone else in the apartments have animals. Try to notice if you hear dogs barking or cat noises or whatever in the complex as you walk through. If so, you can probably wrangle an allowance for a pet in there just because the landlord won't want to look like he's playing favorites.

Second, does the landlord come by to check your apartment often? If he never comes by(sometimes you don't see them for years, but sometimes you get a bad building that is worked on all the time), and if your cat never makes noise at all, you may be able to get away with having a cat even when you agreed not to have one. But if he finds out you got a cat one day, you can sometimes still get away with it because the landlord might not want to lose a good tenant. Alternatively, he may be happy to use it as an excuse to kick you out so he can raise the rent.

HOWEVER, in each of these situations, you will probably have the landlord try to get extra money out of you for the supposed damage a cat might cause. Often this will be de facto unrefundable, because security deposits against damage are routinely kept by landlords, alleging that whatever normal wear and tear occurred during your tenancy was excessive and he should be compensated for it. Unless you're willing to go to court to prove different AND have lots of solid photographic evidence, the money is with the landlord until the law pries it out of him. This could run you anywhere from 100 to 300 extra in essentially lost money.

If you can just ask about pets over the phone before you even show up, it can save you a lot of time and effort and sneaking around.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The correct response is a blue point himalayan. The most personable and loyal cat. More like a dog is some ways. the price is a few hundred dollars but it will be well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nice part of the himalayan personality comes from the persian half, which are incredibly nice and mellow cats. The other half is siamese, which are some of the most cussed and mean cats on earth. I'd say if you want a mellow super fluffy cat, just go straight to the persian and skip the middleman.

But most of all, I'd repeat what I said earlier -- buy a shorthaired cat. All that fluff is extremely hard to keep clean. Just a cat's tongue baths can result in daily knots that can be incredibly painful for the cats, bind up their skin, and literally tear it off their bodies when they move. Don't blink -- it happens all the time.

Unless you're willing and available to constantly groom them, often for extended sessions, get a shorthair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true with my cat. A well bred Blue Point Himilayan will have a coat that is flawless and a personality that is unmatched. I don't need to groom my cat, the only time I do is for his pleasure. It's like giving him a treat. I can take my cat on walk outside with out a leash. All I have to do is whistle and he heels right by my feet. This is how obedient Blue Points are suppossed to be. A lot of this has to do with how you bring up the cat too. I did many trust exercises with my cat.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM

Almost always, unless it is a huge property management firm with zero customer service skills and no autonomy for its agents, you can convince a landlord to allow a cat---if its male, as long as its fixed, and with the OFFER of a pet deposit.

Whenever possible I have rented from individuals instead of property management companies because of things like this.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:11 PM

You got lucky. My family has had many longhairs, and some required daily maintenance, and some did not.

A high amount of maintenance is the norm for longhaired cats. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone not prepared to do that amount of grooming, because the results can be anywhere from uncomfortable to very painful for the cat.

It would be irresponsible and unkind to get a longhair without being quite willing to do daily grooming, if necessary. Not having to do that grooming is nice, but you sure can't count on it.

Unless you get a shorthair. For 99% of people, that's probably the best bet. A lot of people don't even spend half an hour a day with their own kids, so not many will want to sink it into digging through complicated knots in their cat's hair.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a kitty about a few days ago and everything is cool, except for the fact that every day she has dug up the dirt in a plant each day. I give her lots of attention so I guess she is just bored? How can I stop her from doing this. Also, how often should I completely change the litterbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

Orange peel. The smell is too strong for cats and keeps them away, we put it around our fish pond.