Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Peachy-tilt.

[ QUOTE ]
Like - don't you ever admit to weakness in some fashion that isn't a joke? Ever?

I can't see how anyone could be both "focused" and blithely immune to self-criticism.

This might be a good time to introduce one of my most cherished ideas about the nature of man, adapted from Mr. Bill James, the noted baseball writer. I call it the Law of Temperamental Balance - Every Strength Is Also A Weakness.
For example: I have a friend who is congentially incapabable of showing weakness or backing down from an argument, regardless of circumstances. He thinks it makes him strong, and in his own arena he's a practically unbeatable opponent, but it makes him a social, emotional, and spiritual cripple.
His strength makes him weak.

People may think of me as a downer, but I'm certainly never kidding myself. I'm not interested in "making myself happy" as a concept. I'm interested in defining and stating The Truth, as accurately and revealingly as possible. The fact that the overwhelming majority of humankind sees things differently than I do in this regard is both fascinating and baffling to me, but, then, I suppose everyone feels that way in one way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im totally open to critism...but it doesnt change how i think about life. I dont care if people see my characteristics as strengths or weaknesses - those are YOUR definitions. To me, I am a happy person...and thats all that matters - no matter what characteristcis I have that make me so.

My life is no easier than the next person and ive been through alot - I just handle it differently than most people, but if others want to ridicule me for that then so be it...like ive said before it doesnt and will never make me change

U can think of yourself or ur friend in whatever light u want, but mine doesnt affect my friendships here, if anything it maintains them for a long time.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
..i dont regret anything...therefore to me ive made no mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never had a bad batch of fruit salad? You've never forgotten to hit the restroom before getting on an airplane? You've never said "OK" to volunteering for some [censored] project that turned out to be 100x as much work as you thought? You've never woken up still blind drunk and naked next to some ho-bag that you don't remember ever seeing before?

This is just sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

not mistakes...

everyone might as well give up...im not budging on how i view this...and most of u appear to be too small minded or miserable to understand it

i live my life how i want to live it...for how many people dislike me i dont see why its of concern to u!

if u see it as ignorant or dumb....so be it...that doesnt matter to me

most everyone hates me on here...GOOD...it doesnt effect my life or views! Im an opinionated person and i say what i think - i dont care if it sounds dumb or if people dont agree - block me...dont read what i say...and get over it
Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 PM

Big Time
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
..i dont regret anything...therefore to me ive made no mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never had a bad batch of fruit salad? You've never forgotten to hit the restroom before getting on an airplane? You've never said "OK" to volunteering for some [censored] project that turned out to be 100x as much work as you thought? You've never woken up still blind drunk and naked next to some ho-bag that you don't remember ever seeing before?

This is just sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

not mistakes...

everyone might as well give up...im not budging on how i view this...and most of u appear to be too small minded or miserable to understand it

i live my life how i want to live it...for how many people dislike me i dont see why its of concern to u!

if u see it as ignorant or dumb....so be it...that doesnt matter to me

most everyone hates me on here...GOOD...it doesnt effect my life or views! Im an opinionated person and i say what i think - i dont care if it sounds dumb or if people dont agree - block me...dont read what i say...and get over it

[/ QUOTE ]

we do understand it. you don't understand that if you're going to attempt to participate in discussions, you shouldn't make up definitions for words (especially not words central to the discussion) that are inconsistent with the definitions everyone else is using.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:53 PM

Having the concepts and outlook behind the definitions make sense and not just be a personal ego-riff would be a nice bonus, too.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Peachy annoyed me a little until the "easily and without a thought" reason for being a Republican, now she annoys me a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That post was the turning point for me, too. She *never* admits that she is wrong, and refuses to acknowledge anyone else's viewpoint unless it matches her own. If someone makes a brilliant argument that proves that she is wrong (such as EVERY SINGLE argument that has been presented to her as to what constitutes a "mistake"), she either totally ignores the post (while responding to others in the same thread), or she responds but continues to insist that she is right, despite the evidence staring her in the face.

I'd say she's a troll...but I think her trollness happens totally unwittingly and unintentionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you link me to that post?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im not budging on how i view this...and most of u appear to be too small minded or miserable to understand it

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peachy annoyed me a little until the "easily and without a thought" reason for being a Republican, now she annoys me a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er I meant to ask you to link it, spam, not Hopey.
To the post about her reason for being a Republican.

Thx
Old 09-14-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having the concepts and outlook behind the definitions make sense and not just be a personal ego-riff would be a nice bonus, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally i think it's pretty clear that she's lying.

she might tell herself that she has no regrets "now," but if she expects us to believe she's never regretted stubbing her toe or saying something mean to a friend or bluffing into the nuts, even the instant after, she's delusional.

i can just see her explaining it to her math teacher.

"peachy, you forgot to carry the one."

"oh."

"you made a mistake."

"it wasn't a mistake, i don't regret not carrying the one at all. it's in the PAST."

"it's a mistake in the past."

"i guess your brain is too small to comprehend it."

i guess this belongs in another thread though. my bad.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Yes, this is the kind of thing that makes me point out that that outlook is fundamentally contemptuous. Of course she's lying; but it's not the dishonesty to herself that's so bad; it's the expecting us to be stupid enough to swallow it without objection. It feels like being spoon-fed a turd and expected to like it.

That seems like a little too much to ask.