Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Putting Coke in Freezer to cool faster?

[ QUOTE ]
cold molecules create a cushion so to speak around the warm faster moving molecules, eventually they collide and bump around and slow down bcause the cold molecules act as cushions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about me and my wife having sex? That's a lot of bumping and colliding!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just what I want to doo with my soda.. spin it in ice water so when I open it ... BOOM soda everywhere.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you spin it in ice water, and don't move it side to side or up and down at all it won't be shooken up at all.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:39 PM

ok, ill allow my possible retardation to shine through here. all of you who are saying to put the beer can into "salt water and ice" are then putting the salt water and ice into the freezer correct? otherwise somebody will need to explain to me why a bucket of saltwater and ice would be colder than a bucket of regular water and ice.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, ill allow my possible retardation to shine through here. all of you who are saying to put the beer can into "salt water and ice" are then putting the salt water and ice into the freezer correct? otherwise somebody will need to explain to me why a bucket of saltwater and ice would be colder than a bucket of regular water and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The salt depresses the freezing point of water so the water can get much colder without freezing, and your beer is able to be submerged in a liquid colder than ice.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The salt depresses the freezing point of water so the water can get much colder without freezing, and your beer is able to be submerged in a liquid colder than ice.

[/ QUOTE ]
how does the 32degree (for agruments sake) ice, make salt water colder than 32degrees? or did you just tell me that?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the freezer argument the soda will cool slightly faster in the freezer mainly because it is in physical contact with frozen objects that transfer heat much more efficiently than air.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you ever read the whole thread, you're going to feel like a huge idiot.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
how does the 32degree (for agruments sake) ice, make salt water colder than 32degrees? or did you just tell me that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by this question.

Let me clarify real quick. Let's say you add NaCl (a common salt) to water the freezing point lowers. So you can chill salt water to less than 32F degrees and the water will not freeze. This is just a simple property of water.

At what temperature it freeezes depends on how much salt you add. I think it's something like for each 18 grams of water (1 mole) you have, if you add 1,000 grams (1 kg) of NaCl the freezing point will lower by ~3.7 degrees Celsius. (My math could be wrong.)
Old 09-09-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by this question.

Let me clarify real quick. Let's say you add NaCl (a common salt) to water the freezing point lowers. So you can chill salt water to less than 32F degrees and the water will not freeze. This is just a simple property of water.

At what temperature it freeezes depends on how much salt you add. I think it's something like for each 18 grams of water (1 mole) you have, if you add 1,000 grams (1 kg) of NaCl the freezing point will lower by ~1.9 degrees Celsius. (My math could be wrong.)

[/ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure if we put ice in a bucket of saltwater, it will be the same temperature as a bucket of regular ice water.
but again im retarded
i guess it depends on the temperature of the ice
Old 09-09-2005, 09:47 PM

what the [censored] man, i said no quotes.

yah its a terrible explanation.

and i have no patience for teaching so....
Old 09-09-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure if we put ice in a bucket of saltwater, it will be the same temperature as a bucket of regular ice water.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. What will occur is that if you then put the bucket of saltwater in a freezer the saltwater/ice solution would stay liquid at a lower temperature than a bucket of ice water without the salt. In other words saltwater freezes at a lower temperature but salt does not magically make ice colder, it only makes it melt faster.

This is called freezing point depression. For that matter sugar will accomplish the same thing.