Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: anyone else pissed off at that rapper for saying bush doesnt care.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do a little research into Kanye's life and tell me what part of the struggle he went through...

Was it his professor mother? His minister father? The multiple degrees he could have earned had he not dropped out of college? The work Jay-Z gave him as a producer, then as a rapper that no other label would take?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that I at no point mentioned a personal struggle in this part would make your argument a straw man argument, wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You said:

[ QUOTE ]

By blowing off his opinion, you're pretty much blowing off the concerns and complaints of the Black community at large

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, maybe its just me, but when I hear all the talk about the Hurricane victims, it always comes down to one thing. Poor people.

Tell me how the concerns of the poor black community ANYWHERE are something Kanye is an expert in.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's the race card I was looking for! To make this a truly worthwhile debate, all you have to do now is to make a Hitler reference, and perhaps a veiled George Orwell crack wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously, Kanye being black has nothing to do with me not listening to him. There are certainly black leaders I would listen to if they made this statement. Even shock artists like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have MUCH more credibility than Kanye West in my book, because they at least have made a career out of political activism.

West, on the other hand, got famous by performing raps such as "Now all the girls pass the weed to your motherfucking man / And if you're losing your high, then smoke again", and then tries his hand at activism when the cameras are rolling.

By the way, when you give me faulty information (from your wigger roommate?), and then tell me I should have googled it in an insulting tone, it makes you look foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kanye West has concerns representative of the Black community. I don't really care what his skin color is. And I'm not going to engage in some rhetorical nonsense and imply you're a racist or a fascist if you blow off his concerns. Deciding who has credibility or not is obviously a personal decision.

You're given some reasons for blowing off his concerns. I don't think your reasons are terrible, but I think you're being awfully flippant about someone whose motives you are not aware of and not considering that he might both have a decent point and actually know something of what he's discussing.

It doesn't make you a racist or a fascist (and I'm not much for name-calling or casting aspersions), but it shows that you find it easy to attack someone's opinion whom you deem unqualified.

It looks like I overvalued my roommate's opinion in this case and it did make me look foolish. I realized that might be a risk to what I had to say and it's not one I often take. I'm still interested in what he has to say about it since I've never known him to talk out of his arse and he's plugged into to hip hop/rap culture. We'll see how "faulty" this information is. I bet he knows something that you don't...

Maybe this was Kanye's political awakening, and even if it's not genuine, his influence could still be positive. That's afterthought and not part of our argument/discussion, btw.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'mnot going to continue it here, but I'd like you to tell me one thing he's done specifically AGAINST the black community. In the politics forum. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to make specific malicious actions towards a group to not care about them? that sounds more like "caring" to me.

rj
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, maybe its just me, but when I hear all the talk about the Hurricane victims, it always comes down to one thing. Poor people.

Tell me how the concerns of the poor black community ANYWHERE are something Kanye is an expert in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess only experts can have worthwhile opinions? Some things are so damn obvious you'd almost have to be blind to form an incorrect opinion. If you're going to take the rhetorical tact that without having experience closely related to something or "expert" status, one cannot form a valid opinion, unless you are aware of the totality of Kanye's experience or are somehow an "expert" about him, you can't competently discuss what he may or may not be aware of. I find that patently absurd.

It looks like I'm going to be waiting a very long time for a strong argument that Kanye West can't speak for the Black community. If their concern (which is that Bush doesn't give a [censored]) comes out of his mouth it's suddenly not their concern? Does the limited information people have about his background mean he doesn't have enough information to have accurately expressed the concerns of a community?

This just in:

According to wigger roommate, sociopolitical concerns pervade his music, his creative work that he gives a damn about enough to produce something original, yet when he talks about it publicly it's like he suddenly realized politics existed. Said roommate was completely unsurprised by his public comments, saying they were entirely consistent w/ his work and it sounds like, what he cares about.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:43 PM

2k might not be alot, but what do you want them to do? hand out 20k?

come on.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:23 AM

First off coming from the guy that has publicly let known he wants to re-nounce his citizenship, I don't think you have room to speak much here.

The United State government should be doing more then they are, I never once mentioned that they should be giving them more money but they should be doing other things to get them the things that they need to live and thats by calling out every major corporation that can help and offering tax breaks or just plain footing the bill for whatever these people need. They should be buidling government housing in Houston or wherever the majority of these people are now calling home. The stadium is a short term solution to a long term problem. You have to understand that the greater New orleans area will be out of service for 6+ months easy, no economy except for re consturction and that the majority of these people are the poorest of the poor in our country.

So forgive me for ranting KaneKungFu but from a person that cares about my fellow countrymen and loves this country our representatives need to do more for the people that don't have a voice to be heard.

And thats where I agree with Mr. West, the poor don't have equal representation even Pre-Katrina, we can't turn our back on them now, they need us whether they are white,black,brown, yellow or any other color. There's always more to be done but in this instance President Bush isn't doing things right and he hasn't done nearly enough of what he should.

(Before the bashing comes about Bush hating, I will say that I have no party affiliation)

Seth
Old 09-10-2005, 01:05 PM

Did "how much fun we're having" or whatever it's called drop already? I heard mid september but havent checked in a while.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Saying someone talking about renouncing their citizenship does not have any right to criticize his country is silly. I think people that incensed by a country very likely have strong criticisms worth considering. I think foreign nationals may have strong criticisms worth considering. But, if your goal is to flippantly cast aside the opinions of people that might disagree with you, it's a great approach. Ron Kovic would love you.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote
2)come on if Kanye doesn't TAKE 15 seconds to voice his opinion on live TV you will never hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was very happy I got the opportunity to hear Kanye West's political opinions on TV. He's obviously qualified to talk on the matter, isn't he? America must hear his voice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you are not familiar with what "free speech" means. Since when did people have to be "qualified" to speak their opinions?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 AM

FirstBase = Racist old man