Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over while walking

You don't know me.

I don't think the police were wrong to stop us. I think they were wrong to hold us under duress after we had given them our information just to insult us and be confrontational.

FYI, most police officers would agree.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know me.

I don't think the police were wrong to stop us. I think they were wrong to hold us under duress after we had given them our information just to insult us and be confrontational.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would have simply said you were going for a walk and given your info instead of creating suspicion with your "no comment" stance the entire situation would have been avoided.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:37 PM

Sounds to me like you got pretty lucky. Especially that kid where his possession charge was dropped. All the cop had to do in that case was put on the arrest report that he smelled weed on the kid, thus giving him reason to search.

The cop seemed like a dick, but it could have been much worse.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was in Whitby.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok it all makes sense now.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:08 PM

awesome work.

i have nothing against police officers, but i enjoy it when someone reminds them who they actually work for.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've gotten out of several well-deserved tickets just by being a nice guy (someones gonna FYP this one, I'm sure) and bantering pleasantly with the cop. They are so used to nits like you that they cut me some slack for being a nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being nice to get out of a traffic ticket is +EV. Letting a cop violate your rights while you're out walking late at night is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

What rights are being violated? It's unusual for two guys to be about at that time, and, since the OP is not walking around with a scanner, he has no idea what may have transpired that night, such that a police officer would have reason to stop and ask him a few questions. He did nothing wrong, so why make a big stink about it? He wasn't being harassed, just answer the questions and be on your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell you what...at random intervals the police will show up at your door and search your home. Maybe a lot of the homes in your neighbourhood are being used to grow marijuana, so the police are suspicious that you might be doing the same. Since you haven't done anything wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about. If you complain about it, you'll be called a dick and intimidated and they'll go ahead and search your home anyway.

On top of that, you'll be stopped by the police every so often as you drive home from work and forced to answer a series of questions as to where you're going, where you've been, etc... and you better answer the questions, or you will be detained until the police can ascertain that you're not up to no good. Since you have nothing to hide, you should be okay with the police doing this.

You're now going to point out that the OP was out after midnight, so he somehow deserved to be harassed and detained -- and yes, he was detained, because when he asked if he could leave the police told him he couldn't. The police also did their best to intimidate them into giving up their rights.

Personally, I don't see any difference between having your rights violated at 4am and your rights being violated at 4pm. That's just my opinion...I prefer to live in a free society. It's not for everyone, though.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't know me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would have simply said you were going for a walk and given your info instead of creating suspicion with your "no comment" stance the entire situation would have been avoided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, what would be even better is if we were forced to call the police first and get permission to leave our homes. It would save a lot of time, plus we'd all know that anyone who was outside without permission would be up to no good. Yup, I think you're on to something. The police *should* be allowed to decide who is and isn't allowed outside.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Without any suspicion that you had committed a crime, they were totally wrong to stop you in the first place. You should be allowed to walk outside without being stopped and interrogated.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He wasn't being harassed, just answer the questions and be on your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cop stopped them for no reason, repeatedly called them dicks, and told them they couldn't leave.. how is that not harassment?

[ QUOTE ]
Without any suspicion that you had committed a crime, they were totally wrong to stop you in the first place. You should be allowed to walk outside without being stopped and interrogated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums it all up.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

So you spent 20+ minutes your way, when you'd likely have only spent 5 minutes and have been on your way. But I'm sure he'll be at home in a fetal position under his bed thinking about his run-in with 'Joe-I know my rights'.

Is this really a worthy battle to fight? No. It's equivalent of spending $500 to fight a $5 parking ticket.

I've been stopped plenty of times for crap. Big deal. You think you really made a difference with this cop? Doubt it. Report him? Yeah, that's good. Another waste of time and energy as nothing will likely come of it. If you do, let's up that cost to $600 dollars fighting that parking ticket.

When you really get some major crap under your belt that happens in your life, you'll see just how really menial and petty this whole confrontation was.

b