Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: 14 more marines dead ...

The article by James Fallows was originally in Atlantic Monthly. When I tried to link to their website, I discovered one had to be a subscriber. So I found another cite that printed the article for free.

Read it and you'll see which documents there are. You'll see that Rumsfeld refused to let his people even attend CIA meetings which concerned the occupation. And you'll see that Bush himself was unconcerned with what the occupation would be like.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: I Second

I dont believe I even mentioned Clinton in my post.....so not sure what that rant about Clinton was for.

I dont know how anyone here can know for sure if the soilders are well equipped or not, seems to me its all just speculation at this point.

Also you say we were well equipped for the initial military campaign, but not equipped for the occupation. What extra in terms of equipment did we need if we were equipped for one but not the other.

I'm not a person who thinks are forces are too small, with our technology we dont need 1,000,000 men on the groud in Iraq. I do think we need to build up are forces now that we have seen what iraq can bring. If by some chance we do go into Iran or N. Korea it would seem to me (I dont know just speculation) that it would be much tougher to controll those areas. I do agree that clinton was bad for our intelligence (9/11 commission report talks about that) and thats really what hurt us in this war.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM

It looks to me that this guy might be taking out of contex peices of documents (not sure what documents). I'm not looking for this guys interpretation of the documents or what happened. Look at the website its clearly liberal. I'm just looking for real documents, if the exist they must be online somewhere that actually outline the plan you speak of and shows how bush intentionally ignored them.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for the exact documents, not a left wing website that supposedly "cites" the documents. Find a government website with them or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimme a break. This is a very well known article from a respectable publication. The citations are not just made up.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Well if you can't find these "documents" he speaks of, then how does he get a hold of them. Also what you consider credible I dont. You guys dont think fox news is a credible source so I can easy veto a website that's is very anti-Iraq, no wonder this guy is on that site.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Also this guy James Fallows was a speach writer for President Carter, what more do you want that this guy is a liberal?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you can't find these "documents" he speaks of, then how does he get a hold of them. Also what you consider credible I dont. You guys dont think fox news is a credible source so I can easy veto a website that's is very anti-Iraq, no wonder this guy is on that site.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what its worth, this article was nominated by David Brooks (who is by no means a liberal) as one of the best articles of the year.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM

We shouldn't be indignation at citizen's like niss for politicising the issue. The people we should save our indignation for those such as Kerry who voted in favor of the resolution and then politicize the issue for their personal self interest. I've posted the resolution before and I've posted comments that Kerry made before the war that basically stated many of the same things that the Clinton administration had stated and the Bush administration had stated. The Democratic Senators who voted for the resolution:

Baucus, Mont.; Bayh, Ind.; Biden, Del.; Breaux, La.; Cantwell, Wash.; Carnahan, Mo.; Carper, Del.; Cleland, Ga.; Clinton, N.Y.; Daschle, S.D.; Dodd, Conn.; Dorgan, N.D.; Edwards, N.C.; Feinstein, Calif.; Harkin, Iowa; Hollings, S.C.; Johnson, S.D.; Kerry, Mass.; Kohl, Wis.; Landrieu, La.; Lieberman, Conn.; Lincoln, Ark.; Miller, Ga.; Nelson, Fla.; Nelson, Neb.; Reid, Nev.; Rockefeller, W.Va.; Schumer, N.Y.; Torricelli, N.J.

Biden, Dodd, Cleland, Clinton, Harkin, Edwards, Rockefeller, and Schumer among them.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Looking at that list of senators reminds me of how glad I am that Tom Daschle was defeated last election.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:57 PM

Did you read what I wrote? The article on the website was copied from an article that originally appeared in Atlantic Monthly. James Fallows has written extensively on defense related matters. What difference does it make what website the article appears in? Just judge what it says.