Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Timeline...

My understanding of a staking agreement is that you get the original stake back and then a percentage of whatever has been made. If he lost some of it back to you expect to get paid on whatever his bankroll was at at the highest point?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 PM

I got 3rd in a step 5 once, started at step 1 too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 PM

I doubt the plan was to risk his entire stake by the stakee playing the step 5's with <10 buy-ins.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 PM

This is why when Greg Raymer sold shares of himself they had a written agreement which prescribed the buy-in levels at which he was to play. Get it in writing folks.

http://www.fossilmanpoker.com/faqs.htm

See question number 3. Should be required reading for anyone considering staking/being staked, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Scammed by a 2+2er

[ QUOTE ]
I will always be amazed by how difficult it is to get money from somebody that owes it to you when they owe you a portion of winnings.

You flippin' won the money, man.

I have loaned, backed, coached, and split percentages with dozens of people on this forum and have had serious trouble collecting money that was already won from more than a few 2+2ers.

It's the second most significant factor in my decision to stop doing all of the above.

I dig a lot of dudes on this forum, but it is rather depressing how some "regular posters" have trouble paying up.

My theory is that people who aren't raised among gamesmen are never taught what gambler's honor is. Those of us who were raised that way assume that it's common sense to keep your word. Guess not.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

In everything I have ever done you lived and died by your reputation and I'm as young as they come on here. People where not raised with any values though which is why you are staking them and not vice versa.

Someone else mentioned asking why you would stake someone online for gambling and I would have to say I'm coming around to agree with this. My adventures in staking have been mediocore at best and it's not like it's easy to make them pay up if they don't want to like it would be if they play in the same club as you. I have always just played midlimits but I have never been staked and when I screwed up and got broke I humped the microlimits to get back. I realize when playing for a living unless you've got cash saved up it's not realistic to do but I view most people as far too high risk online to ever be staking. Maybe if there was some people to say yes they're good for it I've staked them before etc. etc. then it would be an acceptable risk but that brings up the problem is that I never wanted the fact I was backing a person disclosed. The only person who has consistently payed me without problems was a person who got broke and I offered to stake because we played in a tournament together years ago and he would send me money for the penny tables and $1 tournaments. Nobody, even people I played with regularly, aside from him ever obeyed the conditions we had set prior. The only person who did broke that the other day and jumped into a game he almost never played and didn't have the roll for and lost my stake. Fortunately the vig he had payed the week prior almost covered it but it was still dissapointing to lose my only cash cow. Staking online poker players is a losing proposition and all the bad apples ruin it for the few good players who are honest and may eventually get unlucky enough they are in need of a stake.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
amazing, exactly the same as J_Lo's story [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

scary ain't it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will always be amazed by how difficult it is to get money from somebody that owes it to you when they owe you a portion of winnings.

You flippin' won the money, man.

I have loaned, backed, coached, and split percentages with dozens of people on this forum and have had serious trouble collecting money that was already won from more than a few 2+2ers.

It's the second most significant factor in my decision to stop doing all of the above.

I dig a lot of dudes on this forum, but it is rather depressing how some "regular posters" have trouble paying up.

My theory is that people who aren't raised among gamesmen are never taught what gambler's honor is. Those of us who were raised that way assume that it's common sense to keep your word. Guess not.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

In everything I have ever done you lived and died by your reputation and I'm as young as they come on here. People where not raised with any values though which is why you are staking them and not vice versa.

Someone else mentioned asking why you would stake someone online for gambling and I would have to say I'm coming around to agree with this. My adventures in staking have been mediocore at best and it's not like it's easy to make them pay up if they don't want to like it would be if they play in the same club as you. I have always just played midlimits but I have never been staked and when I screwed up and got broke I humped the microlimits to get back. I realize when playing for a living unless you've got cash saved up it's not realistic to do but I view most people as far too high risk online to ever be staking. Maybe if there was some people to say yes they're good for it I've staked them before etc. etc. then it would be an acceptable risk but that brings up the problem is that I never wanted the fact I was backing a person disclosed. The only person who has consistently payed me without problems was a person who got broke and I offered to stake because we played in a tournament together years ago and he would send me money for the penny tables and $1 tournaments. Nobody, even people I played with regularly, aside from him ever obeyed the conditions we had set prior. The only person who did broke that the other day and jumped into a game he almost never played and didn't have the roll for and lost my stake. Fortunately the vig he had payed the week prior almost covered it but it was still dissapointing to lose my only cash cow. Staking online poker players is a losing proposition and all the bad apples ruin it for the few good players who are honest and may eventually get unlucky enough they are in need of a stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, like I have said, I am no longer ever going to stake someone that I don't know personally that lives close to me. Simple as that. Too much can go wrong.

For those looking for an update it looks as if I am going to get my money back. I don't know how long it will take but it appears that ZebraAss will mostly be working off his debt and be repaying me through the next week or two. If this doesn't happen I will be back on here with all of his info.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 AM

hey, anyone want to stake me?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 AM

These semi-anonymous online staking deals are mondo stupid. That is all.

eastbay
Old 08-04-2005, 06:40 AM

Question number 3 is about Raymer going to a fossil show.

??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]