Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: A simple question : for those who want to outlaw abortion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Courts judge whether or not someone is raped all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it your position that abortion should still be legal in cases of rape or incest, or should it be prosecuted as murder regardless of such circumstances?

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, I'm sure such factors come in at trial, especially during sentencing. I don't know, I don't think I would count it as murder, but you follow the law.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Courts judge whether or not someone is raped all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it your position that abortion should still be legal in cases of rape or incest, or should it be prosecuted as murder regardless of such circumstances?

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sit well with me, but I could live with such an exception
Old 07-15-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If abortion is truly the murder of an innocent person, then how can there rightfully be any such exception as this? Are you willing to accept a small number of murders in the name of political expediency? Or is there some more fundamental basis for excusing these particular murders, but not others?

q/q
Old 07-15-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If abortion is truly the murder of an innocent person, then how can there rightfully be any such exception as this? Are you willing to accept a small number of murders in the name of political expediency? Or is there some more fundamental basis for excusing these particular murders, but not others?

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Because unlike consentual sex the woman (victom of rape/incest) was not given a choice in taking steps to prevent pregnancy, ie deciding not to have sex.

Of note under my preferred law - where abortion would be illegal only after some time around the end of the first trimestor there would be no such exemption. A possible execption for a minor who was the victom of incest/molestation and was prevented from being able to make the choice during the initial stages of her pregnancy.

I think my position is rather reasonable and polls show it is shared by the majority of Americans.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 AM

What difference does it make to the baby how it was born? Whether out of love or rape, the baby has no choice in the circumstances under which it was conceived. Why is the life of a baby conceived out of a rape/incest worth less than the life of a baby conceived by a happily married couple?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What difference does it make to the baby how it was born? Whether out of love or rape, the baby has no choice in the circumstances under which it was conceived. Why is the life of a baby conceived out of a rape/incest worth less than the life of a baby conceived by a happily married couple?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference of free will. A man through rape should not be able to force a child upon a woman. However when the woman consents to sex willingly she should bear the risks involved, namely procreation.

I never claimed to value the life of the unborn the same as the life of the born. What I said is that I value the life enough that it deserves some protection under the law.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference of free will. A man through rape should not be able to force a child upon a woman. However when the woman consents to sex willingly she should bear the risks involved, namely procreation.

[/ QUOTE ]
This still doesn't answer the question. Sure the woman didn't choose to be raped, but the child didn't choose to be conceived under those circumstances. The woman may be inconvenienced by a pregnancy but the child is being sentenced to death. The baby can always be given up for adoption if it causes pain to the mother, but once it's dead it's dead for good.

[ QUOTE ]
I never claimed to value the life of the unborn the same as the life of the born. What I said is that I value the life enough that it deserves some protection under the law.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've just made a distinction between an unborn child who was conceived out of love and one conceived out of violence. So random chance is what determines the worth of an unborn child?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:12 AM

I did anwswer the question.

Innocent lives are lost many times as the result of decisions. should I not support any war because innocent people will die because they were randomly born in said country? I think not.

should America drastically reduce its standard of living because people who were randomly born in other countries are starving to death?

we make value judgements like these all the time. the loss of innocent life is not always the only consideration.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:40 AM

This innocent life stuff is a non sequitor. We're talking about the worth of unborn human life. You seem to be arguing on the one hand that an unborn human who was conceived out of love is worth enough to society to require that the ending of this life will be treated just like any other but on the other hand, an unborn human that was conceived out of a violent act are not worthy of laws that protect against their death. Wouldn't this violate the unborn's right to equal protection under the law? Shouldn't the unborn, even those born out of violence, have just as much a right to live?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This innocent life stuff is a non sequitor. We're talking about the worth of unborn human life. You seem to be arguing on the one hand that an unborn human who was conceived out of love is worth enough to society to require that the ending of this life will be treated just like any other but on the other hand, an unborn human that was conceived out of a violent act are not worthy of laws that protect against their death. Wouldn't this violate the unborn's right to equal protection under the law? Shouldn't the unborn, even those born out of violence, have just as much a right to live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the woman should be forced to assume the buren of pregnancy and post pregnancy when she did not willingly assume the risks of sex. Yes I am placing this ahead of the unborn having equal protection under the law.