Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: WSOP Day 1A: \"Official\" Results, News & Discussion

My bust hand (30 mins before dinner break) Blinds go to 200/400 then. Thoughts appreciated.

Blinds 100/200 ante 25 (Level 4)
1,250 or so left in the day 1a field

Stacks
My stack: approx T8000
MP2 stack: approx T20000
BB stack: approx T15000

Fairly weak passive table except for a few good players. Limps are generally good enough to see a flop. MP2 just sat around 30 mins ago and has raised when he has played, very little limping, he is also big stack at table.

I see 8 7 UTG and limp, folded to MP2 who makes it T650 to go. Folded to BB who calls for T450, I think and call. I have a tight image at the table and have generally played solid all tourney.

POT: T2200
FLOP T 7 4
BB checks, I bet T1500, MP2 looks at me and raises to T3600 total. So T2100 more for me to call, and I have about T6000 left in front of me. I think about it and push. He calls. I say "You got overs but I am the favorite".

Results
Turn: Td
river: 3h

I show 7s with an 8 kicker
He shows Qd Qs and takes down the pot

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Howard, I think I saw you (JOPKE hat, near the rail?). I didn't want to interrupt you in the middle of play. I wanted to let you know that the guy sitting next to you in the Yankees hat was a total fish. I was astounded to see him in Vegas, let alone the WSOP. Sorry to see you busted out.

You should mention that you had a flush draw when you pushed. Makes it seem not so terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's there to say? Helluva misread. Even if he had overs, he's getting a halfway decent price and might call you some of the time anyway. I really don't like this move unless you had some kind of flush draw that you're not telling us about.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 PM

Ow. I mean, I'm still pretty new, but I would be sick if I busted out of the ME with 87o that I limp UTG, call a raise with, hit middle pair, lead out, get raised by the PFR. Surely, surely, there have to be a million better places to get your $$ in? You still have 40 BB at the start of this hand. Muck preflop, muck when you get raised. You're beat, and even if not, you're not a huge fave. Hell, if you wanted to go to the felt with this, C/R all in. At least then you have more FE.

I would never respond like this if you hadn't requested thoughts, BTW. Not trying to rub salt in a painful wound.

EDIT to add: Saw in MTT that you had 8c7c and two clubs on the board. Makes it much less donkish, LOL. I think I still like the c/r allin.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 PM

yea.......... i thought i was reading this wrong.... when i went through the hand as you described it..... so i read it again.... and i cant believe what i saw.

horrible play.

limp UTG in the MAIN EVENT with 8 7 offsuit? i dont even limp with those cards when i play 4/8 at foxwoods!

than bad reads, bad bets............... just bad play.

but hey, you were in the event, and i wasnt... so what does that tell ya?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:30 PM

limping UTG with a hand like 87o isn't exactly all that bad dependant on the table texture, though doing it with a 40BB stack doesn't seem nearly as right.

I'm more in favor of checking this flop and evaluating what your opponents do. Assuming you have no redraws (and I dont think you do because I can't tell if you have any kind of redraws. Were it me on the flop, I would likely call the preflop raiser's continuation bet and re-evaluate on the turn, pouncing with any kind of scare card or redraw.

The only mistake I feel you made was your read on MP after he made the 3x raise on the flop. It would seem to me that a solid player who hasn't done anything out of the ordinary and only comes into the pot with a raise would not be raising your bet here with high cards. Then again, he might, but I would re-evaluate your read after that flop raise. I certainly would not push after that.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Trails has constant live updates.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Jesus Scoops a Huge Pot

Chris "Jesus" Ferguson just scooped up a large pot. After seeing a flop of 3-2-2, the player in the big blind checked. Ferguson made it $800 to go, and the player in the big blind re-raised to $3,800. A King came on the turn and the player in the big blind raised to all in, about $7,800. Ferguson called and showed pocket Queens and the player in the player in the big blind turned over A-J. The river was an 8 and Ferguson's Queens held up. "Jesus" is now sitting on about $31,000.

----------
This is a call I probably can't make with that King on board. Obviously no one knows for sure, but do you think Jesus, being the pro he is, mainly picked up on a physical tell, or one just from the villains betting pattern?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limping UTG with a hand like 87o

[/ QUOTE ]

His 78 was suited, and he had a flush draw on the flop.
OP copy/pasted from his post in the MTT board and the images didn't transfer.