Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: My Attitude About Religious People

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have simply developed adjectives to describe how it is. unless you have knowledge of heaven or someother state of existance than if you think about, you have nothing to compare this existance to. therefore it cannot possibly be anything else but what you have chosen to decribe it as.

I don't think the look how great everything is, is a very strong arguement to base the belief of god on.

it is far better I think to simply base it on nothing at all but hope and then act accordingly.

thus I say I hope there is a god and a afterlife and I will make decisions accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me, and I apologize in advance if I am worng, that you are trying to rationalize everything. Religion and faith cannot be rationalized or explain with logic. It is not what you see but what you feel, what you instinct tells you. I believe it is more in you than it is around you. As we struggle through our lives, it is comforting to know that there is a better place out there, whatever it might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am saying is it is irrational for a person who has a hope that god exists to invent reasons like "look how amazing everything is" when clearly this can be easily dismissed yet the person's hope that god exists remains. therefore, obviously this "belief" was not founded on that reason at all. But as I have said a hope that he does exist.

The religious person when asked his thoughts on god should reply "I hope that god and a afterlife exists so I will act accordingly" and when asked to the reasons why she should reply, as you stated "because it brings me happiness."

Doing so sheds the religious person of the burden of having to A) develope reasons like "the amazing universe" and B) have them then subject to an objective review. When it should be clear that religion cannot meet any such review.

There is no requirement within any religious text that the tenants of worshipping God be founded on objective evidence nor is there any requirement that it need be accepted by the objective man. Therefore it is irrational for the religious person to feel the need to attempt to do so.

If she feels the need to describe something it should instead be why having a hope in god has brought her comfort and happiness in her life as well the potential afterlife benefits.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Fallen Logic

If objective observer, means someone who makes magisterial use of our necessarily flawed fallen logic, then sure God can punish him. This is a first commandment violation. It sets logic up as a false god.
Nimrod tried to use bricks and mortar to get to heaven, when he built that tower of Bable.
Similar Guilty of idolatory (and of using the wrong tools) are Both the christian who uses pseudo scientific arguments to try to prove Gods existence and the 'ojective observer' who thinks his 'objectivity' can tell him something about the likelyhood of, or nature of God