Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Last Throes

"No one ever made the claim Saddam had nukes."

It was claimed that he had "reconstituted" his nuclear program and we were warned by the president that if we didn't act we might see a mushroom cloud.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 PM

I'm not against a loose timetable for certain goals to be met but that's different then saying we'll start pulling troops out on X date.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 PM

It was claimed that saddam wanted nukes and was seeking to develope them at a future date that's a far cry from saying he had nukes.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like perhaps the Iraqis are being pressured by the Americans and Brits to get on the ball. Bush is certainly feeling some presure, ergo his upcoming speech. One would think that, politically, the Bush administration, sooner or later, will have to come up with some timetable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this very much. However it will be interesting and very telling if A) during the 2008 democratic primary, the candidates are all forced to declare some sort of timetable and B) if during the general election her Republican counter part follows suit.

I think A is likely and B..I don't know.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeno seems to have missed that Iraq had nothing to do with the war on terror and it was planned before there even was a war on terror.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The Iraq war is directly related to the 'war on terror' for good or ill. And if the Iraq war really was pre-planned (there are mountains of pre-planned wars sitting in Pentagon, State Department, and other government agencies file cabinets) that is a cause for rejoicing, not censor. If attaching the 'war on terror' nametag to Bush's gangsterism after the fact bothers you, then you have no grasp of politics in practice.

The best part of the 'War on Terror' is that it is completely open-ended and can be used to justify everything from kidnapping potential enemies in complete disregard of international law and state sovereignty, to small-scale excursions to bitch slap some irksome fanatics, to wholesale nuclear slaughter of despotic and/or theocratic states. If you have no appreciation for the sheer genius of it all, then you need to hit the history books. Start with Herodotus and Thucydides and work forward.

-Zeno
Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 PM

what was your undergrad in and how do you know so much ancient history?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What scares me is what Dik, Rummey et al will do when they are in their last throes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their credibility is beyond "the last throes" and is completely DOA.

Frank
Old 06-27-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Great Post, Zeno n/t

^
Old 06-27-2005, 10:24 PM

I'm more bothered by how the right is ready to excuse a president who wanted to attack a nation for their own goals and excuse it with whatever reason the right attachs to it.

It really accentuates the worst qualities about the right these days.

[ QUOTE ]
The best part of the 'War on Terror' is that it is completely open-ended and can be used to justify everything from kidnapping potential enemies in complete disregard of international law and state sovereignty, to small-scale excursions to bitch slap some irksome fanatics, to wholesale nuclear slaughter of despotic and/or theocratic states.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, cool. Attack whoever we want, skirt International law and brush it all under the rug of "war on terror."

Sounds like even you guys admit the administration is a bunch of war mongering crooks.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iraq has everything to do with the war on terror it's just that you have to look more at the big picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you ignore the mountain loads of evidence that shows otherwise, then yeah... I guess you're right.