Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Acknowledgments from Professor, Banker,,,, -- Is Sklansky for Real

You are right. I don't care of the criticisms of me are impolite. I only care if they are wrong.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:12 PM

Default It\'s also your job...

First off, I'm not comparing myself to David Sklansky, but he makes a point I can identify with. I've worked in radio for several years, and occasionally get requests to do things like voice-overs, DJ proms, em-cee events, etc... Some people seem shocked when I ask them for money. But, this relates to how I earn a living, and I don't feel like I should be doing it for free. Whereas they see it as something I can do with relative ease, so I shouldn't be demanding so much money. But I don't want to be known as a guy who will do his job for free. It's not like I'm charging a buddy to help him move. David is a poker expert. If people want him to lend his expertise, they should be ready to pay.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:38 PM

I've skimmed this a couple of times reading Ed, Mason, and David's responses. My main thought the whole time was: What the devil are they doing? They have a NL, HOHII, etc to get out the door to my grubby paws. So what if they are a group of middle aged grumpy men? I'm not spending MY money on books because they are wonderfully kind loving caring people - I spend MY money on the books so I can make MORE money playing poker with people who are to lazy/stupid to read.

If I had my way, until the NL book is out if one of them sits down at a keyboard for anything but writing/editing the book a nice little electrical zap would jolt their fingers. Then again, my wife says I'm the most offensive person she's ever met if I don't want to be bothered with someone/thing.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Acknowledgments from Professor, Banker,,,, -- Is Sklansky for Real?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lee Jones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee Jones wrote a decent book, but it was far from original, or groundbreaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee Jones wrote the easiest-to-read-and-understand book on small stakes hold'em -- certainly at the time it was written, possibly to this date. I bought Sklansky's Hold'em Poker when I started playing on a recommendation. The prose made it difficult for a novice to absorb and I felt lost. I then purchased Lee Jones book and I became a winning low-limit player. Since then, I have bought and read many two-plus-two books and reread parts of them many times. I haven't picked up Lee's book in quite awhile. Nevertheless, if someone who has only played hold'em casually asks me for a quick read that will make him play better low-limit hold'em during his vacation in Vegas -- I point to Lee Jones first.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to reconsider that and point them to GSIH, which is much better written, much clearer and much more concise and incidentally, fundamentally more sound.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Nice hand brother

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it ironic that those who feel the need to call out David, Mason, or me publicly for arrogant or impolite behavior always seem to do it in a rude and personally offensive way. They should be thankful for the anonymity of the Internet.

Here's the bottom line:

1. It's really none of your business what David said to someone requesting an interview.

2. It's really none of your business how David chooses to behave in general. You are NOT his mother. You are NOT his agent. You are NOT his representative in any way. If you have a personal beef with him, fine. But you don't.

3. You could do well to take your own advice by not behaving rudely and burning bridges. You think David loses opportunities by pissing people off. Why do you think that you aren't doing the same for yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took great care not to be offensive or rude in the way I pointed it out. If I was rude, that was not my intention. By the same token, however, you are attacking me. I find that just a tad ironic. But that's ok.

I am not "telling" anybody anything. I am commenting on someone's behavior that is relevant to this forum. I got an explanation from David, something I didn't expect or want (but which I appreciated), and I am content to leave it at that.

As for Mr. Miller's comments:

[ QUOTE ]
1. It's really none of your business what David said to someone requesting an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, you may be correct. However, David, whether he chooses to be or not, is a public figure. And, I didn't obtain the information illegally or improperly - it was published in a book that I read. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

[ QUOTE ]
2. It's really none of your business how David chooses to behave in general. You are NOT his mother. You are NOT his agent. You are NOT his representative in any way. If you have a personal beef with him, fine. But you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, same point, except now, I wonder why it's any of YOUR business how I respond to David? Are you his mother? You're his friend/colleague, so in that sense, I guess you care, but I think David has explained himself quite well. I just happen to disagree.

I would have asked this question of ANYONE on this forum who responded to Mr. Craig (or anyone else) in this way. The fact is, I am only aware of how Mr. Sklansky responded to Mr. Craig. Therefore, I can only comment on that. If you responded to Mr. Craig in this way, I would include you in this group. In a larger sense, I am commenting on how we as people treat each other, and money isn't the bottom line to life. The guy asked for an interview. David, or anyone else, could have just said "no, i'm too busy," or "no, I don't give interviews." Instead, David said he would only respond for money. That is his choice. It is my choice to disagree with how he responded.

[ QUOTE ]
3. You could do well to take your own advice by not behaving rudely and burning bridges. You think David loses opportunities by pissing people off. Why do you think that you aren't doing the same for yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unclear how you can call the Internet anonymous and then tell me I am burning bridges. If you don't know who I am, how can I burn a bridge?

I maintain that I was not rude or offensive. That was never my point. I was critical. I admit that. There is a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

you got your money in with the best of it and his hand did'nt improve on the river. that's No Limit for ya. you've said alot of things in your post[s] that make sense AND you did'nt have to be rude or a smart@ss in the process. in the immortal words of Mason Malmuth:
[ QUOTE ]
nothing else needs to be said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-11-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed, by your quoting this, I assume you agree with this statement. It obviously is a completely incorrect analogy and, therefore, statement. Unlike a dinner invitation, David makes money from this site. Therefore, the rules of engagement are completely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, change it to a business dinner then.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An analogy, of course, never proves anything, and your analogy is particularly inapt. One of the major taboos of respectable journalists (i.e., not the tabloids) is checkbook journalism. No one would refuse to grant the NYT an interview simply because he would not be paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, anyone interested in being paid for their time would turn them down for exactly that reason.

-- M. Ruff
Old 06-11-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lee Jones wrote the easiest-to-read-and-understand book on small stakes hold'em -- certainly at the time it was written, possibly to this date. I bought Sklansky's Hold'em Poker when I started playing on a recommendation. The prose made it difficult for a novice to absorb and I felt lost. I then purchased Lee Jones book and I became a winning low-limit player. Since then, I have bought and read many two-plus-two books and reread parts of them many times. I haven't picked up Lee's book in quite awhile. Nevertheless, if someone who has only played hold'em casually asks me for a quick read that will make him play better low-limit hold'em during his vacation in Vegas -- I point to Lee Jones first.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to reconsider that and point them to GSIH, which is much better written, much clearer and much more concise and incidentally, fundamentally more sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also more comprehensive -- Lee has nothing to offer on NL or tournaments. I'm a fan of WLLH but I think it's been obsoleted by GSIH.

-- M. Ruff