Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Schoonmaker \"Don\'t Quit Your Day Job\" (yeah, it\'s long)

[ QUOTE ]

HOWEVER, 50K IS NOT MUCH MONEY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been teaching for 9 years, and I make just under 50K. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HOWEVER, 50K IS NOT MUCH MONEY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been teaching for 9 years, and I make just under 50K. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

next year will be my 3rd year. 38K

Krishan
Old 06-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Krishan,

Just now noticed only 3 days to the big day. Congrats. I've still got 3 months to live it up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Chief
Old 06-01-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Krishan,

Just now noticed only 3 days to the big day. Congrats. I've still got 3 months to live it up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Chief

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and congradulations!

Krishan
Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 PM

if you really want to investigate I would talk to pros whether they make $50K or $350K a year that have played soley for a living for more than 3 years and been thru all the crap the Doc mentions. Do it via PM.

Players like snakehead,Tommy Angelo,MSSunshine etc.

There is so much bs on this board from poseurs. This is not the way to figure out if you want to risk your current lifestyle/marriage etc.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:51 PM

They said Rap would die down... Are we really so sure it is going to die down any time soon?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Al:

As mentioned in my PM response, it's an honor to hear from you. Thanks again for your response. Let me just throw my initial thoughts to your response out here.

1. I think that one is settled.

2. 50K per year is more than I make now, as another mentioned. It's also more than I've ever made at another job.

[ QUOTE ]
BY CHANCE, I'M WRITING A SERIES FOR CARD PLAYER, "IT'S A GREAT PARTY, BUT..." ALL PARTIES (BOOMS) END, AND SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOW CLEANING UP WILL GO BUST WHEN THE PARTY IS OVER. THEY think THEY PLAY WELL, BUT DON'T REALIZE THAT THE only REASON THEY WIN IS THAT THE GAMES ARE SO SOFT. SOONER OR LATER, THE SUPPLY OF NEW FISH WILL DRY UP, AND MANY OF THE OLD FISH WILL EITHER QUIT OR LEARN HOW TO PLAY.

THE MESSAGE OF THOSE ARTICLES IS: ENJOY THE PARTY, BUT GET READY FOR THE TOUGHER TIMES THAT WILL certainly COME.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a concern that I'm not sure how to handle. I need to consider this more heavily.

3. Well said. Just do it.

4. [ QUOTE ]
NO, YOU HAVE NOT. YOU HAVE NOT DEALT WITH THE ISSUE THAT HAS OFTEN BEEN DISCUSSED HERE: THE WAY OTHERS SEE YOU.

LET ME GET PERSONAL. MY CHILDREN ARE HORRIFED THAT I PLAY AND WRITE ABOUT POKER. THEY USED TO BRAG ABOUT THEIR SUPER-RESPECTABLE FATHER (PROFESSOR, OWNER OF AN INTERNATIONAL CONSULTING COMPANY). NOW THEY DON'T MENTION WHAT I DO, AND DON'T WANT ME TO DO SO IN FRONT OF THEIR FRIENDS.

READ MY ARTICLE, "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS US," AT CARDPLAYER.COM. ALSO, LOOK AT THE THREADS ABOUT DAMAGED RELATIONSHIPS, FEAR OF TELLING FAMILY WHAT POSTERS DO, ETC. THESE SUBJECTS COME UP ALL THE TIME ON THE PSYCHOLOGY FORUM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have dealt with that, but I didn't. I'm quite acustomed to being a misfit, and have never put much stock in other's approval...good or bad, it's what I've had to do in my life for several reasons...I won't go into them publicly in this thread. Thanks for sharing your story, though. I'm sure I will catch some flack from family members if I do this. I've not read your article yet, but I most certainly will do so soon. I need to read articles there more frequently.

5. [ QUOTE ]
YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG. READ THE THREADS THAT DEAL WITH THIS SUBJECT. IF YOU HAVE HUGE HOLES IN YOUR RESUME, YOU WILL FIND IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A GOOD JOB IN MOST INDUSTRIES. ASK ANY PRO OVER FORTY: DID YOU OR YOUR FRIENDS EVER THINK OF TAKING A STRAIGHT JOB? YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HEAR "YES, BUT I (OR THEY) COULDN'T GET ANYTHING WORTHWHILE. PERSONNEL MANAGERS AND PROSPECTIVE BOSSES WANT TO KNOW, WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL THESE YEARS? IF YOUR ONLY ANSWER IS, "I'VE BEEN PLAYING POKER," YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING A GOOD JOB ARE NEARLY ZERO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that's interesting to hear. I have a some friends in the HR field, and I want to talk to them as well to see just how serious this really is; however, I'm taking your word on what those pros said, and that's a serious thing.

[ QUOTE ]
THE MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT THE LONG-TERM PICTURE IS much LESS POSITIVE THAN THE SHORT-TERM ONE. IF YOU WANT TO TURN PRO, PRINT ED MILLER'S ARTICLES AND TAKE THEM very SERIOUSLY.

I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU OR ANYONE ELSE LIVING THE WAY SO MANY OLDER PROS LIVE NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now, I've only seen Ed's first article. I'm assuming the next one comes out in a month, and that seems like a year away especially since this is a decision I should really make in the next months or so because of several circumstances.

Thank you very much for your reply Al. Thanks for caring about other people, and I really appreciate you sharing your personal experiences as well. Really, I need to consider these things more thoroughly. The biggest concern that you've mentioned is "HOW LONG" and will I really be able to just jump back in the work force if it goes hay wire.

Gee wiz...I just made up my mind too....back to the drawing board [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you really want to investigate I would talk to pros whether they make $50K or $350K a year that have played soley for a living for more than 3 years and been thru all the crap the Doc mentions. Do it via PM.

Players like snakehead,Tommy Angelo,MSSunshine etc.

There is so much bs on this board from poseurs. This is not the way to figure out if you want to risk your current lifestyle/marriage etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks goodguy. I wanted to do this, but didn't know who to talk to. I need to talk with someone that just ground it out playing 8+ tables of SS. I was thinking bisonbison did that. Course...he's back in the work force now.

These others you mentioned, I think played higher limits and less tables, right?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:58 PM

Keep in mind that 50k playing poker is less than 50k at your current job (and quite likely less than 40k at your current job.)

-d
Old 06-01-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that 50k playing poker is less than 50k at your current job (and quite likely less than 40k at your current job.)

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right...