Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: I\'m really enjoying this but

[ QUOTE ]
My old cat just took a nasty dump in the box about 5' from the computer. FOUL! DAMN! Worse than one of my Father's Sat morning tap beer wallops from my childhood. Yes kids, some our Dad's drank tap beer. And anyone who had to use the bathroom knew it.

I'm making a vodka collins run for myself. Looking forward to some fresh air and seeing where it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the funniest frick'in posts I've ever read!! I love it! AWESOME!!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: It really is just a game (WAY too long)

If it ends up in print, I'll sue you Bob. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope your friends get something out of it as well.

Offline:

Honey! Look at this! Bob T liked one of my posts!

Whatever, get off the internet, I need to use the phone.

But, honey, it's Bob T, and he said it was just rig...

I said get off the internet.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

LOL!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a buddy that's a Monopoly freak. He always said the orange were the best. I asked him why. He said that a study was done and those are the spaces that people land on the most. That doesn't make sense to me, though. But...whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This makes no sense.

At least, that's what I thought when I first read this. So, instead of studying this afternoon, I set about trying to understand this. Here's what I came up with.

Claim one: Jail is the most commonly landed on square in the game.

Without any additional rules for moving, the distributions of landing on individual squares would be the same. Since there are "Go to Jail" cards and a "Go to Jail" square as well as the rule that a triple-double sends you to jail this shifts the distribution significantly and "Go to Jail" becomes the most landed on square.

Claim two: 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 are more common dice rolls than 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, or 12.

This is simple probability.

Claim three: Orange squares are landed on more frequently than any other set of squares.

This follows from claim one and claim two.

This isn't the whole picture. Not only are the orange squares more likely to be landed on, but property and development costs on those squares are relatively low compared to the high rents on those squares when they are developed.

That's what makes these squares so lucrative: they maximize volume * frequency. That's the key here, as in LHE.

Jason.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it ends up in print, I'll sue you Bob. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope your friends get something out of it as well.

Offline:

Honey! Look at this! Bob T liked one of my posts!

Whatever, get off the internet, I need to use the phone.

But, honey, it's Bob T, and he said it was just rig...

I said get off the internet.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Get DSL.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At least, that's what I thought when I first read this. So, instead of studying this afternoon, I set about trying to understand this. Here's what I came up with.

Without any additional rules for moving, the distributions of landing on individual squares would be the same. Since there are "Go to Jail" cards and a "Go to Jail" square as well as the rule that a triple-double sends you to jail this shifts the distribution significantly and "Go to Jail" becomes the most landed on square.

Claim two: 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 are more common dice rolls than 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, or 12.

Claim three: Orange squares are landed on more frequently than any other set of squares.

This isn't the whole picture. Not only are the orange squares more likely to be landed on, but property and development costs on those squares are relatively low compared to the high rents on those squares when they are developed.

That's what makes these squares so lucrative: they maximize volume * frequency. That's the key here, as in LHE.

Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Jason,

This was all already covered here

Good luck,

Jordan
Old 05-18-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Jason,

Good luck,

Jordan

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Just started making my way through this thread from top to bottom. I read the OP this morning, and then the replies around reply fifty but nothing in between. This is one of those examples where threaded > flat as then I would have seen your reply while working thourgh thread before replying myself. Nice work. Thinking is fun.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet! I like your addition! You should have wrote my post!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha
Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Jason,

Good luck,

Jordan

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Just started making my way through this thread from top to bottom. I read the OP this morning, and then the replies around reply fifty but nothing in between. This is one of those examples where threaded > flat as then I would have seen your reply while working thourgh thread before replying myself. Nice work. Thinking is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote my post with the thought that you would retort with something like "yes... but my super genius post was far superior"

The maturity you showed in your response was frightening.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. (not obvious) Late in the game, an oft used strategy is GET TO JAIL! When the match is heads up, and half the board could sink you, the best place in the world you can be is jail, right? I mean, you still get paid. Plus, you cant land on his/her squares.

When this is the case... you are forced to see if you can roll doubles. The orange squares have more options for doubles (3,3 and 4,4) than the pink (2,2).

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to roll doubles. wtf are you talking about? This seems like rubbish to me and thus inconsequential. Please elaborate.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget about Connect 4.
[...]
If you lose, it's your fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Connect 4 is rigged.

If you are the second player, you can lose and it is not necessarily your fault.