Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so the subject says it all. I've already come to terms with the fact that probably every person who responds to this thread will respond with "Don't play poker, if your such a f*cking girl"...I guess I was just wondering if anyone else out there is a scared little bitch like me who plays limits that are too high for them.

I was sitting at a $2/$5 NL, $100-$300 buyin and I was up to about $500. This was after playing $3/6 earlier and building up to around $450 and then cashing out only $290. We were leaving soon, and I was happy to have made back the money I lost from my peak at $3/6.

$2/5 is the highest NL I have ever played, and $500 is the most I have ever had on a table at once, short of a extremely hot $4/8 session once.

So I started thinking...if the guy accross the table sitting with $1500 was to move all in preflop, and I looked down to Aces, with $500 in front of me, I am not sure if I could call. [ QUOTE ]
Maybe if they were black aces...

[/ QUOTE ]

Momentarily after thinking this, I slapped myself and realised I have to call, or I would not be able to sleep that night...but seriously I dont think I could stomach losing $500 in one hand. Now obviously this means I was playing above my comfort levels and I'm sure the responses will be something like I should just stop playing poker and kill myself.

Regardless, has anyone else been at a table with way too much money for them to feel comfortable and seriously considered folding Aces preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a dumb, dumb comment and thought. I hope you are in this same exact situation twice in the same night, the first time you see two "red" aces and fold, and then you get black aces and call, and lose. Stop being a pussy, please.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only situation I've ever heard of where you might fold aces pre-flop in a cash game is when you have a huge stack in a capped buy-in game (say 7 or 8 buy-ins), can outplay EVERYONE post-flop and are pushed in by an opponent who has you covered.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds plausible on the surface, but the numbers just don't back it up.

By folding, you give up about 5 buy-ins, on average, plus the opportunity to play with a 16 buy-in stack rather than 8. By calling, about 18% of the time you drop down to 1 buy-in, and lose the ability to outplay your opponents with a large stack for a while. (If your opponent would run it twice, you can reduce this risk to 3%.)

The amount you expect to gain from outplaying your opponents with a deep stack rather than a short stack has to exceed 25 buy-ins to fold AA. <font color="white">8*.64/.18 = 28.4 buy-ins. 8*.64/.0324 = 158 buy-ins.</font>

If you cashed out with 30 buy-ins after a couple more hours of play, would you be disappointed? If so, maybe you should fold AA. If you would be happy to accumulate 30 buy-ins, it is horrible to fold AA. It might cost days of expected profits.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 PM

The black ones are better right, I mean why else would they be black?
I agree with the poster because, if the black aces werent better than they wouldnt make them black. The red aces dont have the sheer awesomeness of the black aces because if they did, they would BE the black aces. But now this poses an interesting dilemma. What if you get a black and a red one, i think this is a clear case of the dealer trying to f*ck with your head, because he wants u to have the awesomeness of one black ace and the shittiness of one red one. Yell at the dealer and ask if any1 else has a black ace, that way you can switch, ofcourse the person with the black ace might not be willing to part with his black ace for a red one without added incentive, so I think you should give him half your stack. Now that you have black aces.....push!!
Disclaimer :-
The above views are solely those of Captain Morgan, and of some glaucoma medication.