Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: If you open-limp on the button, your IQ is 14

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You aren't up against someone who has shown aggression

[/ QUOTE ]

In a situation like this, the fact he has shown no aggression means less than it usually does, IMO.

Simply because I would think that it is more likely that this particular player wouldnt play his good one pair type hands aggressively at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're telling me he'll bet Ace-high or King-high no-pair on the river? Because that's the only way that check-calling is ok.

Rob
Old 05-06-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a situation like this, the fact he has shown no aggression means less than it usually does, IMO.

Simply because I would think that it is more likely that this particular player wouldnt play his good one pair type hands aggressively at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're telling me he'll bet Ace-high or King-high no-pair on the river? Because that's the only way that check-calling is ok.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think if this type of player bet when checked to, folding would probably become the best option.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think if this type of player bet when checked to, folding would probably become the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I think check-folding is way > than check-calling.

I'm seriously just thinking that this sort of opponent calls down with Ace-high.

Rob
Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I think check-folding is way > than check-calling.

I'm seriously just thinking that this sort of opponent calls down with Ace-high.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I say check/fold, as I doubt he bets on a bluff.

Yes, I think he calls down with ace high, but, I think way more than 50% of the time he calls, we are beaten.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:52 PM

FWIW, I can dig check-folding being the best option on this river, but I'm still debating where it falls in the:

check-folding > betting ? check-calling > bet-calling.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think he calls down with ace high, but, I think way more than 50% of the time he calls, we are beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't by itself mean betting isn't best. This looks like a definite bet on the river to me, even though I agree that probably over 50% of the time he calls, we are beaten.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't by itself mean betting isn't best. This looks like a definite bet on the river to me, even though I agree that probably over 50% of the time he calls, we are beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I never really thought about it. I just thought, "You open-limped on the button? [censored]-you, I bet."
Old 05-06-2005, 02:08 PM

button open limp
Old 05-06-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the rank of river plans goes:

check/fold > check/call > bet/fold > bet/call.

The parlay of a) him having a worse hand and b) him calling with that hand is such that the river bet is -EV, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet-folding is better than check-calling, as you allow the opponent to check behind many worse hands that would call a river bet.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I think he'll call with some Ace and King-high hands and we can fold a few better hands as well. This guy could easily have some medium pocket pair and is being stubborn. Fire the third barrel and fold to a raise.