Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: PlayerView/GameTime+ Alternative

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that PV is more technically complicated code than is PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something technically complicated can take much less time and effort to make than something simple yet full-featured. Sure, it might be technically more difficult to manipulate graphics than it is to manipulate databases, but the organization, planning, and tedious busywork of parsing hand histories is really a bitch and requires a lot more time.

I have no doubt that Amir has spent hundreds of hours working on PV, and he has every right to charge $50. That's not being greedy, and probably smart since if anyone is going to pay for it when GT+ is free, they'll probably be willing to pay $50 as much as they are willing to pay $20. His customer group is higher stakes players who don't view $50 as actual money, rather just 5 BBs (which, if played well, I suppose would quickly turn into 10 BBs...and so on).

Anyway, in terms of features for your software PokerAce, I would suggest that the main thing is stability. Also, the ability to display your own variables based on SQL calls once PT comes out would be great.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:47 AM

So you think it would take less time to write a replacement for PokerTracker than it would PlayerView?

I think you guys are grossly underestimating the complications involved with software such as PokerTracker, and grossly overestimating the work required for an application like PlayerView.

Hand History parsing? I wrote a PartyPoker hand history parser in three hours. I wrote a PokerStars hand history parser in about the same. Of course, this was in PowerBuilder, but translating the same code to C++ won't be hard. I already have code to find all the open poker windows. I have the SQL statements to find all the stats for each player. I have the code to print text on the poker windows. All this stuff is easy. The hard part is figuring out how I want to present the interface, but even that isn't that tough.

I'm hoping to have a working demo by this time next Friday, if not sooner.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the people telling you to take down the greedy machine.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:06 AM

GT+ is now going open source, so now you can just make your contribution with the features you'd like...