Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Who has the safest career stat lead??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have some some bad bad news for a few of you..Micheal johnsons 200 record was beaten about a month or 2 ago.. google it ,,,,arod4276

[/ QUOTE ]

so the record was broken and it wasnt newsworthy? i never heard of it, cant find anything about it.

i call bull. i would love for you to prove me wrong, but you know how it is, i cant always get what i want.

[/ QUOTE ]

arod here is completely incorrect. Michael Johnson's 400m record was broken on March 13... Actually, broken doesn't do it justice. Kerron Clement, a 19-year-old who runs for the University of Floria destroyed it by 0.06 seconds. Link.

No one is close to the 200m that I know of.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HR explosion was NOT due to seroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you to an extent. Adding four teams and thinning out pitching added to HR totals as well. Players anticipated the thinned out pitching and spent more time in the gym, furthering the effect. However, I don't believe that HUGE increase in the number of 50 and 60 and the advent of 70 HR seasons was simply do to thinned out pitching and longer sessions at the gym. I might have bought that arguement 2 years ago, but the coincidence of baseball starting a steroid policy and the sudden drop off in large single season HR totals is amazing. I mean, these guys are still working out, and the pitching is just as thin. The only difference I see is lower steriod use.

[ QUOTE ]
throughout baseball history, the game has went through many cycles of offense defense

[/ QUOTE ]

Help me out on this one. I understand how a good short stop makes it more difficult to get a base hit, but unless you're refering to thinned out pitching, at what level does defense stop the HR?

Love your avatar, btw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:08 PM

He broke the 400m INDOOR record. Anyone who runs track will tell you indoor and outdoor are totally different animals.

Michael Johnson is still the man who has run the fastest 400m ever.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 PM

Gretzky's season record for goals and points.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Career records that will never be broken are ones where the underlying strategy of the game has changed to the point that the conditions that lead to the records don't exist anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the only way that a record can be considered unbreakable. You look at Gretzky's records or Rice's records, sure they are amazing, but over the next fifty years it is fathomable that a better player will come along and break them. There might only be a 5% chance of that happening, but it is possible. Cy Young's records, however, are completely unbreakable under the rules and methods of modern baseball.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO ONE will ever beat Cy Youngs record 511 wins. There are 5 man rotations and middle relievers who claim wins that starters used to get when Cy young played.

[/ QUOTE ]

The clear choice.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete Rose - 4,256 career hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-04-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but when steroid use wains and the long ball subsides, SB's become important again and some one will get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement just irritates me. HR explosion was NOT due to seroids. throughout baseball history, the game has went through many cycles of offense defense, way before steroids were ever an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the recent homerun explosion was not entirely due to steroid abuse. However, what percentage of league wide homeruns do you suppose could be attributed to steroid use? Five percent? More? Point is, the new steroid policies could have an impact on the game.