Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: The first three rounds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's quite tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even play AJ! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Corona anyone? No thanks!

In your face!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play AJ OR 77. Can you beat that?
Actually, I have a feeling our starting hand requirements are identical. Hmmmm.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: My Starters - Comments appreciated

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes limp AJ/KQ, KJ-QJs, etc. in position [...] with some suited connectors thrown in when I feel I have odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I do this too.

I'm glad to know that I'm on the right track. It didn't take too many tournaments to adjust my pre-flop strategy to the one I outlined above. Maybe 10-15 tournaments before I had the above strategy as my pre-flop game.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Okay, I have not really gotten any responses of any real substance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you have. Your mind just isn't open to them. Which is okay I guess, but will hurt your ability to get value out of this forum.

[ QUOTE ]

Just stuff like, "this is laughable". If calling 15 chips with 98s on level 1 is laughable, then go ahead roar it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahahaha!

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever, I see flops early on because I feel I can make proper decisions post flop. Its + EV for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you that in the Party STTs you are not making *any* money off of 98s (and a ton of those other hands you covet).

[ QUOTE ]

My stats for around 800 SNGs on the 100/200 level is right where I think it should be.

Maybe you knuckleheads just caught me on a bad day. But you can be a great player and still give advice without coming off as pompous ass. Maybe this attitude starts with the two stooges at the top and filters down. Who knows. Get over yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hang around this forum long enough and make enough strides in your game and one of two things will happen:

1. You will stop posting except for 'Worst Fold Ever' (see Dali for prime examples) threads.
2. You will end up like citanul....the gatekeeper to knowledge and resident pompous ass.

What's funny is that I'd imagine you'd prefer the first type of poster, but you really *should* prefer the latter.

Yugoslav
<font color="white">
Secret option #3 (and best, perhaps): You turn into Lorinda and make cryptic remarks here and there, exhibiting personality twists where you talk down the pompous asses occasionally and turn into one yourself at the same time. Also, you will accidentally give out amazingly astute advice from time to time - thankfully no one pays attention. You will have an impenetrable aura of mystery and no one will be quite sure what to make of you, your posts, or your avatar.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll reread the thread and try to ignore all the useless BS. Maybe there are a few nuggets in there.

Well, the only hands I truly covet on level 1 are pocket pairs. Give me 22-99. I like to save getting the bigger pairs for later. I'm sure I have made money in the long run on all of these. 98s and the like, I'd have to fire hand histories into tracker. But its at worst neutral and cannot be a hole in one's game in level 1 unless you are undisciplined or do not play well post flop. I sort of enjoy playing flops and poker in general.

Your two choices below...could I choose somewhere in between? Citanul is the key to knowledge huh? We are not splitting the electron here. We are simply playing 1 Table Tournaments against alot of people who do not know what they are doing nor care to. This is not rocket science, get over yourselves.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Pipes,

You have succeeded in tricking me into posting this thread for you:

may Citanul's wrath upon me be quick and just

Bah!

Yugoslav
PS The Shadow does not have my permission to click on the link unless he is confident that he can practice some self-restraint...
Old 04-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Low pps are almost the only speculative hands that are worth playing in SNGs. This is because on the flop you either set up or do not. If you play stuff like 45s-89s, you will catch pieces of it but rarely nail the flop down like with a set. Plus, with the dynamics of SNG chip stacks and the value of Tchips and cash chips everything works differently. So hands like Axs and 67s are not as valuable as in deep stacked NL games, where they are great (Axs less so).
Old 04-21-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Low pps are almost the only speculative hands that are worth playing in SNGs. This is because on the flop you either set up or do not. If you play stuff like 45s-89s, you will catch pieces of it but rarely nail the flop down like with a set. Plus, with the dynamics of SNG chip stacks and the value of Tchips and cash chips everything works differently. So hands like Axs and 67s are not as valuable as in deep stacked NL games, where they are great (Axs less so).

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree. But I still play hands like 87s in Level 1 for many reasons.
1) Makes things are little more interesting. Playing poker is fun
2) I get away very easily from flops where I have just a piece
3) Axs is usually pretty good. Sometimes, still even at the 100s and 200s the tables are very passive with someone throwing out a wimp bet of 15 which many people call when you have a four flush. Also, when you flop 2 pair you can get action from someone holding a single ace. Again flushes and two pair don't happen often, but they do happen and its only 15 chips.