Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Pointless Philisophical question..

So is sexual fulfillment really the most important thing in the universe to you? I think I would easily be able to last much longer than a day exploring my powers. First of all, I think I would want to find out all of the crazy secrets being kept from us. Who killed Kennedy, what is the real deal with Area 51 etc.? I would also travel the universe and see what, if any, other civilizations exist, and what other star systems are like. There is so much I would want to do before it came down to satisfying my sexual desire. If I really needed sex that badly, I could definetly live with it being my wife/gf for at least a little while.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So is sexual fulfillment really the most important thing in the universe to you? I think I would easily be able to last much longer than a day exploring my powers. First of all, I think I would want to find out all of the crazy secrets being kept from us. Who killed Kennedy, what is the real deal with Area 51 etc.? I would also travel the universe and see what, if any, other civilizations exist, and what other star systems are like. There is so much I would want to do before it came down to satisfying my sexual desire. If I really needed sex that badly, I could definetly live with it being my wife/gf for at least a little while.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not need it is want.I DO believe a would look into things like that, but not for a little while. Yes going to other galaxies and finding out the horrible truth behind all of history would be awesome. I think it would just take me a few weeks to get there. When i was younger,14( i started veering down the wrong path) I remember contemplating the meaning of life. Not just in a typical why are we here?...hmm way but I read many books( on topics in history, religion, the big bang theory)I remember that the more i looked the less fufilled i got. For every question answered there are millions of questions.I felt much more whole as a person when i kissed courntey shoemate in the 8th grade than I ever did reading a book and researching lifes intricacies.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 AM

I think getting involved with discussions such as this one is like putting up a sign that says "Please help me waste away my time on the Internet." Since that's what I want as I am procrastinating, I'll jump right in.

I think some people are mistaking "a bunch" for infinite. This is one of the (several) reasons why Bruce Almighty literally made me stupider for watching it. He is granted infinite power and he uses it to... mess with a local TV newsman?? He answers prayers with a dumb Windows knockoff? Does this even begin to make sense?

If you had infinite powers: you would have the energy of a trillion galaxies and more. You would be aware of every action of every particle to the edge of space, simultaneously. The lifetime of a star would be a fleeting blip, and yet even the smallest instant would contain eons. Your consciousness would encompass the whole of Creation.

Given this, could questions about cheating or "a billion vs. a trillion dollars" possibly have less relevance? For one, a finite physical body could not contain infinite power. But would sexual release as we know it really be that urgent? Or like, being rich or good-looking or any of the little things that humans do?

As to how you use that power, I guess that depends on your metaphysics. Does power=energy? Is it the sum total of the universe's energy or are you now somehow an external agent that encompasses the universe? Personally, I believe that "God" is synonymous with "The extent of the natural universe and the forces that created it." If you had infinite power but somehow not the wisdom to use it wisely, I cannot see how it would not instantly overcome you and either initiate another Big Bang or just annihilate everything. But what I really believe is that you would simply become synonymous with God, meaning you would simply be -- by definition -- the Universe.

And if you really want to know what I think, it's that in fact you are synonymous with God, and that you are infinitely powerful, because there is absolutely no distinction whatsoever between you and the rest of Creation. There is a concept in Hinduism called lila, literally "Divine Play" -- the notion that God manifested as the differentiated universe for the sole purpose of allowing consciousness to develop and to realize it's true nature; the sheer joy of realizing that in fact there never was a Fall from Grace, there is no flaw or original sin, and that Creation is perfect and you are absolutely one with God.

Not to rain on anyone's parade; if you think it's more fun to just wonder about chicks and cash, go right ahead. I just personally don't see the point.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think getting involved with discussions such as this one is like putting up a sign that says "Please help me waste away my time on the Internet." Since that's what I want as I am procrastinating, I'll jump right in.

I think some people are mistaking "a bunch" for infinite. This is one of the (several) reasons why Bruce Almighty literally made me stupider for watching it. He is granted infinite power and he uses it to... mess with a local TV newsman?? He answers prayers with a dumb Windows knockoff? Does this even begin to make sense?

If you had infinite powers: you would have the energy of a trillion galaxies and more. You would be aware of every action of every particle to the edge of space, simultaneously. The lifetime of a star would be a fleeting blip, and yet even the smallest instant would contain eons. Your consciousness would encompass the whole of Creation.

Given this, could questions about cheating or "a billion vs. a trillion dollars" possibly have less relevance? For one, a finite physical body could not contain infinite power. But would sexual release as we know it really be that urgent? Or like, being rich or good-looking or any of the little things that humans do?

As to how you use that power, I guess that depends on your metaphysics. Does power=energy? Is it the sum total of the universe's energy or are you now somehow an external agent that encompasses the universe? Personally, I believe that "God" is synonymous with "The extent of the natural universe and the forces that created it." If you had infinite power but somehow not the wisdom to use it wisely, I cannot see how it would not instantly overcome you and either initiate another Big Bang or just annihilate everything. But what I really believe is that you would simply become synonymous with God, meaning you would simply be -- by definition -- the Universe.

And if you really want to know what I think, it's that in fact you are synonymous with God, and that you are infinitely powerful, because there is absolutely no distinction whatsoever between you and the rest of Creation. There is a concept in Hinduism called lila, literally "Divine Play" -- the notion that God manifested as the differentiated universe for the sole purpose of allowing consciousness to develop and to realize it's true nature; the sheer joy of realizing that in fact there never was a Fall from Grace, there is no flaw or original sin, and that Creation is perfect and you are absolutely one with God.

Not to rain on anyone's parade; if you think it's more fun to just wonder about chicks and cash, go right ahead. I just personally don't see the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm Why do yer kind have ter be all smartlike? i reckon im not gonn take kindly to your kind round here.Nice post.I am honored by your insights.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:43 AM

You make valid points here, but I don't think it was in the spirit of the original question. Perhaps the OP did not word it exactly as he meant to. By infinite power, I don't think he meant 'become' the Universe or God. Rather, you are given the ability to do ANYTHING that you WANT to do. Though this can imply that you can create or destroy worlds etc., it was more aimed at satisfying your desires, whatever they may be.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:46 AM

I see you guys got into it a little while I was typing. Let me just clarify a thing or two:

I'm not against the simple pleasures of life. I used to want every moment to have this cosmic significance; now I am much more accepting of the "divinity of the mundane." Making love to my girlfriend or listening to a good album are both beautiful, and every bit as meaningful as galaxies and cosmic truths. The thing is, that both are simultaneously true: the differentiated and the undifferentiated. You are completely connected to the universe, and yet simultaneously separate and individual. You just can't go mixing modes -- access to infinity, yet still with a localized human consciousness.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not need it is want.I DO believe a would look into things like that, but not for a little while. Yes going to other galaxies and finding out the horrible truth behind all of history would be awesome. I think it would just take me a few weeks to get there. When i was younger,14( i started veering down the wrong path) I remember contemplating the meaning of life. Not just in a typical why are we here?...hmm way but I read many books( on topics in history, religion, the big bang theory)I remember that the more i looked the less fufilled i got. For every question answered there are millions of questions.I felt much more whole as a person when i kissed courntey shoemate in the 8th grade than I ever did reading a book and researching lifes intricacies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just weird, but knowing 'everything' seems far more desireable to me than banging a couple girls. I am fascinated hearing about quantum physics, string theory, chaos theory etc. However, I am not skilled enough in the ways of math and physics to really comprehend this at a deep level (or maybe just not willing to put in the effort). Also these theories only begin to scratch the surface of what is out there. If I could learn it all without using any energy, that would be incredible. Girls come and go all the time, and are just a little part of what makes life enjoyable. Knowing the answer to everything would make me a perfect being if you will.

BTW, are we given these powers for eternity, or do they expire?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You make valid points here, but I don't think it was in the spirit of the original question. Perhaps the OP did not word it exactly as he meant to. By infinite power, I don't think he meant 'become' the Universe or God. Rather, you are given the ability to do ANYTHING that you WANT to do. Though this can imply that you can create or destroy worlds etc., it was more aimed at satisfying your desires, whatever they may be.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes this is true too.I did not mean you would "become god". I meant you would stay you and have complete power.clearly an all-knowing god would not have a sexual preference.but I would continue to have my desires no matter how much power I was given.Maybe after overabusing that power too many times, i would ultimately gain enlightnement(ie eventually it would be like what am i gonna do today ?Create a new kind of candy and drug and have sex with 20 different women.......ok I think Ive done this like twelve thousand times...I need to seek something more fufilling.....but i would not get that feeling right away. Also your post makesme look shallow.I feel pwned... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 04:52 AM

Scotty, like I said -- don't let me stop you. If you replace "infinite" with "really, like, a whole lot" then I'm all about threesomes and such. I just think the word "infinite" put things in a totally different league.

I dunno what the OP intended, but he just struck me as a little more thoughtful than the usual OOT slush.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also your post makesme look shallow.I feel pwned...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should satisfying your desires be shallow? This is the most important thing in life. That is unless you want to be totally miserable (which in that case, you would be satisfying that desire... trippy).