Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: taking crap at the table (saturday night brantford 20/40)

[ QUOTE ]
Why not wait until the situation comes up?

[/ QUOTE ]

in general, people tend to get irritated when i inform them that i don't chop when the situation comes up. that's why i've started to tell them ahead of time. before i did this the following situation was rather common:

i'm BB. small blind wants to chop. i say i don't like to chop. small blind completes. i raise. small blind gets irritated, thinking i didn't want to chop because i have a monster hand. small blind check/folds river, obviously thinking he was scammed out of 1.5 small bets. i feel like a jerk.

in terms of getting people annoyed with me, not chopping seems to be a lose-lose situation. it doesn't seem to be a problem for the "real pros" that don't chop though, so either i'm doing something terribly wrong, or these guys just have issues with my age or the way that i look or something.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in terms of getting people annoyed with me, not chopping seems to be a lose-lose situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did a search for "chop" here and read up on it besides what was posted in this thread. It seems like a lot of people get uptight about chopping. I guess you have to decide if it is worth it to you not to chop. If that's what you decide, then you'll have to live with the potential effects it has on people's attitudes. However, I've found in anything, if you go in thinking it is going to have a negative effect, that effect is more likely to manifest.

It might be helpful to affirm a more positive attitude and harmonious outcome a la Louise Hay. It's sort of like if you expect trouble, it has a tendency to manifest, but if you expect friendliness and pleasantness, that also will have a tendency to manifest. Your subconscious will tend to guide you into the situations that reflect your expectations.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
small blind check/folds river,

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It might be helpful to affirm a more positive attitude and harmonious outcome a la Louise Hay. It's sort of like if you expect trouble, it has a tendency to manifest, but if you expect friendliness and pleasantness, that also will have a tendency to manifest. Your subconscious will tend to guide you into the situations that reflect your expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

people have always been pleasant at brantford up until that day, so i had no reason to expect trouble. when i play live i'm looking to get away from the grind of multitabling online and have a good time (while making some money at the same time). i wouldn't go if i expected to have a crappy time.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: suggestion.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He's not allowed to say no (and I don't think he did).

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't say no. the cards were in front of the dealer by the time the player asked to see them and the dealer showed my hand to everyone, as he should.

[ QUOTE ]
And, explaining the rules to other players is a quick way to get people upset at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand this now. these guys that "have been playing since [i was] in diapers" don't want to have anything related to the game explained to them by the punk kid. it was a mistake. whether they do or not in actuality, in their minds they know far more than i do, and doing anything to suggest otherwise is just asking for trouble.

how do you suggest i handle this situation? not saying anything wouldn't have solved the problem, as the guy who was scolding me would have seen it as the cocky/arrogant thing to do. i suppose i could have apologized and said that i didn't realize i was acting inappropriately (by looking at him), though i'm sure he would have just seen it as a smartass remark.

i'd really prefer not to have them ask to see my cards constantly, though. my hands were pretty much the only ones that anyone was asking to see. (and for what it's worth, nobody asked to see my hand after the confrontation)

[/ QUOTE ]

Read a book about the art of negotiating. Any book. I might suggest Friendly Persuasion by Woolf(sp?). You might find that winning money from people and having them like you at the same time is pretty cool. Especially at a local card room...do you want to be remembered as a "good player" or a "jerk?"
Old 04-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: suggestion.

[ QUOTE ]
Especially at a local card room...do you want to be remembered as a "good player" or a "jerk?"

[/ QUOTE ]

well... neither really [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 10:36 AM

i noticed that I make more money when I am talkative and friendly with everyone at the table.. however, normally I will pick out one person who I dont like just cause and get into a little battle with them lol..
Old 07-26-2005, 12:30 PM

It sounds like it was 90% a combination of one drunk jerk who decided to make you his target for the evening, and the fact that weak players do not like aggression. I'm not particularly aggressive, but I always get some AARP member complaining, "There he goes raising again."

The other 10% sounds like you may be a little socially... inexperienced.

PS I think the chopping thing is a non-issue. You are going to be screwed either way, so do what you want.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: more thoughts on chopping...

[ QUOTE ]
how do you guys let the players around you know that you prefer not to chop the blinds in as friendly a manner as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play online. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Live, you chop, or you'll get treated like a jerk.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM

Tell them to shut their fcking mouths, because you're counting their chips. Then slowroll them a few hands later, and shout "Ship it bitch!"