Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Masters Tourney Thread

[ QUOTE ]
What was up with the thing about a fan calling the PGA about some random rules violation in that short Tiger putt? The PGA actually listens to those? That's damn unfair to Tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised ... if stuff like that is seen on TV and a rules stickler witnesses it, they'll let officials know, regardless of who the person committing the infraction is
Old 04-08-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was up with the thing about a fan calling the PGA about some random rules violation in that short Tiger putt? The PGA actually listens to those? That's damn unfair to Tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

what hahappned??
Old 04-08-2005, 07:53 PM

I know that happens, and it's seriously [censored] up. They should not pick up the phone to listen to that. Plus, why should the way Tiger putted the ball be against the rules? Golf has a lot of stupid unnecessary rules like that.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Apparently Tiger putted from an illegal stance (a tap in after one of the putts he misses by 1/4 of an inch) and a fan called the PGA and said that was illegal, and the PGA listened to him, decided he was right and went and reviewed the tape. They ended up not penalizing him, I think, but the fact they even listened to it and then followed through on the complaint is a joke.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what hahappned??

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger used the toe of the putter to tap in a 1 or 2" putt. In order to do so, the caller claimed he was violating the rule that says you cannot stand astride the ball while putting (i. e., putting the ball "croquet style").

On the rec.sport.golf newsgroup, a poster said that the caller was probably Tom Pernice, Jr.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why should the way Tiger putted the ball be against the rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, back in the 30s Sam Snead used to not be a great putter, so he began putting with a putter that he could use like a croquet mallet, between his legs. They outlawed that, so then he would putt side-saddle, essentially facing the hole when he putted. I've tried it before, it makes putting pretty easy IMO from short distances.

Anyway, I can't remember the menusha involved in the rule change, but essentially it had to do with the fact that you have to address the ball perpendicular to the direction that you're aiming. Tiger was facing the hole, and used the toe of his putter to tap it in, just like every amatuer does on every 2 inch tap in every single weekend.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the rec.sport.golf newsgroup, a poster said that the caller was probably Tom Pernice, Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is freakin' hilarious.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:07 PM

Minutia?

Eh... seems like a stupid rule. I can see how the PGA should regulate club/balls and all, but stance is stance, let people put their feet where they want.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This has happened in the past. I can't recall the golfer, but I remember there was a tournament a few years back where someone waited too long to tap in a putt that was on the edge of the hole, and it fell in on its own. He got DQed for signing a wrong scorecard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian Gay, I think it was the Honda Classic.

I have a rain-man like approach to golf trivia.

The more famous instance occurred a decade or two ago when a viewer called in to bitch that Criag Stadler made an illegal built stance by putting his knees on a towel to hit a ball that was uner some low-lying tree branches. It cost him a few penalty strokes and something like a few ten thousand g's.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:50 PM

I distinctly remember the Brian Gay incident, and I remember a rules official talking to him and showing him a video of the putt immediately after the round, before he signed his card. It must have been a different tournament.