Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Downswings (no hand content)

[ QUOTE ]
eh, its only 25 big bets. I never expect it to happen when I sit down (famous last words) but I'm never surprised when it does. I've started lots of multitable sessions down 100 bucks at 2/4 only to rebound and break even or post a slight win.

poker is a fickle bitch.

good luck turning it around, but we all know you will. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

150 bets in 1.5 hours, not $150
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM

You might be Trix. I'm not God's gift to poker by any far stretch of the imagination. But I've had multiple 200BB swings and I stopped counting the 100BB ones. Oddly enough, my SD in Poker Tracker is right in the median range.

- Jim
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default here ya go

from 9/10. somewhere in there it was -150

Old 03-29-2005, 03:07 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
150 bets in 1.5 hours, not $150

[/ QUOTE ]

well [censored]. that's pretty wack.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: here ya go

How'd you get on my machine sthief?! I need to change my PWs.

- Jim
Old 03-29-2005, 03:31 PM

I read just about every post you make, cause you are just that good. But,

[ QUOTE ]
Dwelling on and analyzing downswings is a really good way to make them worse. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dwelling on them = bad. Analyzing them = good.

Just as analyzing upswings, flatswings, and side swings = good.

[Insert obligatory short joke here]
Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Default nother link

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...amp;PHPSESSID=
Old 03-29-2005, 05:44 PM

On a theoretical level, too true. On a practical level I think this leaves a little to be desired. Let's not get into an arguement about how observant our Party opponents are and just assume that there are some that are observant enough ... to smell the blood in the water, to appreciate your frustration as they see your big cards go down in flames, to look for signs of tilt. You become marked. Your opponents have noticed. They're more likely to put a play on you, call you down or just take chances.

So I do agree that if you are the best player, stay and things will even out. But I think we also have to factor in the "other side" of this - the affect the downswing has on your opponents based on your table image. You have not been showing down winners. You opportunities to be "believed", to semi-bluff, to push people off hands is diminished.

I don't know the answer to this, just that it should be factored in to whether or not we leave a table. Comments anyone?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You opportunities to be "believed", to semi-bluff, to push people off hands is diminished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intesting thoughts, which are much different, btw, from what SA 125 was saying.

However, the moves you're talking about here are already greatly diminshed by the fact that you're in a SS game...bluffs, semi-bluffs and pushing people off of hands just aren't real valuable already.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You opportunities to be "believed", to semi-bluff, to push people off hands is diminished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intesting thoughts, which are much different, btw, from what SA 125 was saying.

However, the moves you're talking about here are already greatly diminshed by the fact that you're in a SS game...bluffs, semi-bluffs and pushing people off of hands just aren't real valuable already.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK not a powerful tool at 2/4 or 3/6, but when your table image is really, really good, when you're running really, really well, even at this level they can be utilized. Not having any "believe-ability" when you bet your hands is a real detriment to playing well. Opponents are more likely to chase (and sometimes catch) when behind and you have no leverage in marginal situations because of your poor table image. The simple fact that you're not showing down any winners but in there mixing it up - makes you a target. It's not the only reason to get up from the table, but one reason to get up from the table, or at least should be factored into the decision IMHO. Cheers.