Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Jeremy Schaap vs Bobby Fischer

This is my main problem with the story. When Fischer was flown to Iceland, and it was announced that there would be a news conference, someone from ESPN had to go cover it, obviously. Now, was it ESPN who chose to send Schaap, or did Schaap beg for the chance to do the story? Fischer had already said things about Dick Schaap that would be considered inflammatory. Anyone should know that sending Jeremy to Iceland to do the story would be a huge conflict of interest. So either Schaap screwed up, or ESPN did. The original press conference then became Schaap vs. Fischer, not about Fischer's return to Iceland, which was the real story. I found that offensive enough. Running a package on the spat a few weeks later just angered me even more. What's the point? How is that news?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:29 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Why were Iceland so keen to take him?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, MR Fischer didnt deserve the treatment he got from the US government. No one should risk 10 years in prison for playing a chess match in Yugoslavia. Its ridiculous and a big joke to say the least. There is only one country that could happen in, except for some Pinochet regimes. He migth be odd, but he is not a criminal.

Secondly Fischer is loved by chess fans all over the world and would probably have been welcome almost anywhere, but it was Iceland who he put on the world map 1972, who put the time and energy to grant him a citizenship.
You can read more about this subject on www.chessbase.com who has covered it in depth
Old 04-20-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i take it you've never heard of gonzo journalism or hunter s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing Schaap to HST is like comparing Tang to Orange Juice

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't even think it's that close. it's like milk to battery acid

what an AWFUL comparison.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM

Interestingly, the most recent showing of the Schaap vs. Fischer bit concluded with the anchor in the studio adding that Iceland is now considering whether to prosecute fischer under their Hate-speech law (or whatever it's called) for the comments he made at the Mar 25 press-conference.

If they have such laws (and issues) regarding hate-speech then I would think his comments on Phillipine radio regarding the 9/11 attacks (among other things he said) would have led Iceland to NOT accept him into their country.

But it might two different factions here.
One group of Fischer fanatics saying "Bring him here...Let's give him citizenship!!"
And another group that doesn't care for him too much that is ready to pounce at the chance to nail him for hate-speech.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM

Jeremy Schaap is the ESPN "chess reporter." He was the comentator on the Deep Blue matches and every other chess event that has been on ESPN. So it would be a no-brainer to send him, even without the history between Fischer and his father.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and every other chess event that has been on ESPN

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Maurice Ashley and some other guy (not Jeremy) in the mid to late 90's as I recall.
Not even sure if Jeremy was even on ESPN yet though.

The story was certainly not a 'conflict of interests' since it wasn't just a story about Fischer.
Jeremy WAS part of this story and that's what gave it added interest. In other words, it wasn't supposed to be objective. It was supposed to be an interesting feature-piece.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was Maurice Ashley and some other guy (not Jeremy) in the mid to late 90's as I recall.
Not even sure if Jeremy was even on ESPN yet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I meant since Dick got Jeremy a job at ESPN. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jeremy has always been a relatively weak journalist. Even his father (though defending him to the hilt) used to take veiled shots at him.

I'm just glad that he doesn't do the Sporting Life on ESPN Radio anymore. That would make you wonder how he ever got a job in sports broadcasting at KSUK in Fairlugen, Wyoming, let alone a national radio show.