Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Cars under $20K

Neither is saying "gay" or "pimp" or "owned/pwned" but I do those too.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30, it's not like I'm going to be pulling up at stoplights and racing mustangs or camaros so maybe the subaru is a bit overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanna do that, you can just get a super-charged Pontiac Grand Prix. It will own stock camaros and mustangs.

/bd
Old 02-25-2005, 01:24 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30, it's not like I'm going to be pulling up at stoplights and racing mustangs or camaros so maybe the subaru is a bit overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanna do that, you can just get a super-charged Pontiac Grand Prix. It will own stock camaros and mustangs.

/bd

[/ QUOTE ]
Or you can smoke a race camaro with one of these
Old 02-25-2005, 01:31 AM

My car is under $20K. Wanna buy it?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dodge Neon SRT4

[/ QUOTE ]
You're officially banned from making any more car suggestions to anybody on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what a person wants. If the Neon SRT4 wasn't FWD, it would hands-down be THE car for budget-performance drivers at that price. It's a 2.4-liter that can easily do 400hp reliably and can do 500hp if you like to push things. I used to think power didn't matter. And then I drove something with power. Can't go back. It makes you feel something when you're driving. Every highway onramp makes you smile. Combine AWD with 450hp and you'll think you are defying the laws of physics when launching from a stop.

I could name various other cars, but when talking NEW, the choices are pretty slim at 18k for something that's fun. I also like Caddies and Park Avenus and things, but no one's getting a new one for 20k.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dodge Neon SRT4

[/ QUOTE ]
You're officially banned from making any more car suggestions to anybody on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what a person wants. If the Neon SRT4 wasn't FWD, it would hands-down be THE car for budget-performance drivers at that price. It's a 2.4-liter that can easily do 400hp reliably and can do 500hp if you like to push things. I used to think power didn't matter. And then I drove something with power. Can't go back. It makes you feel something when you're driving. Every highway onramp makes you smile. Combine AWD with 450hp and you'll think you are defying the laws of physics when launching from a stop.

I could name various other cars, but when talking NEW, the choices are pretty slim at 18k for something that's fun. I also like Caddies and Park Avenus and things, but no one's getting a new one for 20k.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact remains that the Neon does none of this. It's not AWD, it's not RWD, it does not defy any laws of physics, and it doesn't handle like its competitors. The fact that you can supe it up to 400hp doesn't mean anything because you can do that to damn near any car and it's going to cost you a pile of cash anyway. In the end, it's still a shitty car with a decent motor in it. Jack it up to 400hp and take it to the drag strip where you're going in a straight line, fine, but if you actually want to drive, a WRX is the way to go.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM

Around $18k should do it. The warranty protects you for 2 years, almost unlimited miles. I bought one and the reliability has been excellent. The dealer reconditoned it with new tires, brakes, and other stuff in the pre-owned program. Its a great ride.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you can supe it up to 400hp doesn't mean anything because you can do that to damn near any car and it's going to cost you a pile of cash anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically said "budget performance" for a reason. 400hp doesn't take a pile of cash on certain cars. The Neon is even underrated from the factory, so it's already ahead of its factory-hp rating by about 15%.

And, yes, it's a good motor in a so-so everything else. But it's hard to have a good motor AND everything else for 18k brand-new out the door.

The Neon is merely one option in the pocket-rocket category. Many people, including yourself it sounds like from your "pile of cash" comment, don't realize the potential it has. The original post didn't give many specifics on what category was being considered, so I thought I'd mention it since it's not often mentioned. For 20k, I'd still prefer a used C5.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Scion TC it is. I have been reading the scionlife forums since this thread and it's quite a community of car owners.

Today I got approved for a capital one blank check auto loan (I have shitball credit with old collections and charge-offs) for $13K and I have $8K saved so time to go shopping.

Thanks for pointing out the Scions, I'd never even heard of them before this thread.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:28 PM

I think that you will pull a ton of dudes in your fake sports car. Seriously though, why not just get a beetle and fully declare your gayness.