Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: how much can you make and misc thoughts

My guess is that these people win $200k and then go broke spending like a drug lord and moving up to higher limits like $100/200 or $25/50nl and lose whatever they have left.

Winning players can go broke you know.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that these people win $200k and then go broke spending like a drug lord and moving up to higher limits like $100/200 or $25/50nl and lose whatever they have left.

Winning players can go broke you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough... but what if they continue to play within their bankroll?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fair enough... but what if they continue to play within their bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then ElD isn't talking about them.

Unless there is someone out there who lost 6000BB's playing $15/30
Old 01-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: How much you can lose and misc thoughts. . .

[ QUOTE ]
I think I could lose about 1500BB per year, playing PP 15-30. I've lost 700BB in about eight months of play, and I feel I haven't reached rock bottom yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
You definitely haven't.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are a number of kids who have taken $1k-ish rolls to $100k or $200k or more in the last year or two and then back down to zero.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you personally know this "number of kids" who have done this, or is this hearsay? Also, are we talking about people who won $100K in a tourney or people who made it in limit ring game play?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Yes, I personally know a couple of them. Others are friends of people I know very well. Most follow the pattern of Neverwin. Some have some tourney wins, but the vast majority made the bulk of the money at ring games. None, to my knowledge, have ground out their money at one limit and stayed at or around that limit to lose it all back. I articulated the reasons most of these guys go broke in one of my posts.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:36 PM

For those of us who don't follow the online poker soap opera, what is the story of neverwin?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of players who make over 200k a year online. Hell, I know a bunch personally, and that's just in my little circle of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I don't buy it. you're telling me there are lots of internet players out there driving porches and living in penthouses. it just doesn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I buy a porsche and a penthouse for 200k (minus a year's living expenses and any spending sprees with the new found wealth)? Please, fill me in.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing to consider is that a lot of players aren't truthful about how well they do. If somebody says they're making $200,000 on the net, or $1,000,000 at Commerce, I think those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. Not that it doesn't happen, but I suspect it happens far less often than simply taking people's words for it would indicate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or we get the exact opposite. Like here for example. Many players say that you can't make THAT much online (how ever much THAT is when this topic inevitably comes up), then snicker to themselves and say, "if you only really knew how much I make hee-hee-hee."

How many of the top players here give even a range of the amount that they earn online? 0% would be a good estimation.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where can I buy a porsche and a penthouse for 200k (minus a year's living expenses and any spending sprees with the new found wealth)? Please, fill me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about one year's results. if you made this every year, you could easily be living a very comfortable lifestyle. people with consistent income can take out mortages and finance other assets like expensive cars.