Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Would you work for free?

Wow I saw that U.S. Airways was asking employees to come in and work for free this weekend to help the airline out. I can't imagine anyone would be crazy enough to work for a company for free, I know I never would. I guess U.S. Airways is trying to bring back slavery and indentured servitude. If they get away with it I'm sure other companies will try to pressure their employees to work for free also.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Would you work for free?

are you serious? link please. i think thats rediculous. wow. i couldnt imagine myself working for a company for free, if that company is profiting from my work.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you work for free?

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose I would if I was a male gigalo. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2004, 11:21 AM

Default link to article

heres a link

US Airways asks staff to work for free
Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Re: link to article

[ QUOTE ]
"You will not be paid if this is on your days(s) off. It promises to be a rewarding opportunity to learn more about the operation of our airline and come face to face with our customers."

[/ QUOTE ]

Gag. I wonder how much the person who wrote that is making a year.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"You will not be paid if this is on your days(s) off. It promises to be a rewarding opportunity to learn more about the operation of our airline and come face to face with our customers."

[/ QUOTE ]
Gag. I wonder how much the person who wrote that is making a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea that's pretty stupid.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! I think US Airways employees should be paying for the privilege of working there!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 AM

I really hope that no one does this. How much are execs making? Let them work for free for a while, maybe a month instead of a weekend. If a company is struggling, the people who make the decisions that affect profitability are the ones who should take the hit.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I saw that U.S. Airways was asking employees to come in and work for free this weekend to help the airline out. I can't imagine anyone would be crazy enough to work for a company for free, I know I never would. I guess U.S. Airways is trying to bring back slavery and indentured servitude. If they get away with it I'm sure other companies will try to pressure their employees to work for free also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working free for a weekend is not working for free. Maybe some of the employees might realize that it would not be the greatest thing for them to be out of work when their employer goes belly up.

At my new job, attorney's are entitled to a bonus once they reach 180 billable hours per month. My first week there was the Monday before Thanksgiving. Some of the other attorneys were mired in a project and they needed help. I stayed late each day that week so that we all could take the holiday off. Because I started towards the end of the month, there was no way I would be getting a bonus ... as I am on salary, all those extra hours were for free.

But, sometimes you gotta suck it up and stop thinking of only yourself.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Working free for a weekend is not working for free. Maybe some of the employees might realize that it would not be the greatest thing for them to be out of work when their employer goes belly up.

At my new job, attorney's are entitled to a bonus once they reach 180 billable hours per month. My first week there was the Monday before Thanksgiving. Some of the other attorneys were mired in a project and they needed help. I stayed late each day that week so that we all could take the holiday off. Because I started towards the end of the month, there was no way I would be getting a bonus ... as I am on salary, all those extra hours were for free.

But, sometimes you gotta suck it up and stop thinking of only yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of agreed with you up until that last assinine statement. What they need to realize is that working for free for a couple of days IS helping themselves. Unless they prefer the airline go tits up and they all end up on the street, not to mention get pennies on the dollar for their pension benefits.