Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Calling someone on a string bet = ultimate form of angle shooting

[ QUOTE ]
sponger is right, we need to do everything possible to slow down the game at the B&M. Using his suggestion, we could go from 30-35 hands per hour from a good dealer down to a more respectable 20-25 hands per hour.

Hey if the other nine players all did their WSOP act and played around counting $8 (because that is a significant amount of money to an eight year old) we could get the game slowed down to 15 hands per hour.

I nominate this for the biggest cry baby bull [censored] post of 2004. "I didn't follow the rules and the meannies wouldn't let me get away with it! (WAH!)"

PS Merry Christmas

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the single most brilliant post I have ever read
Old 01-24-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except on tv they say "raise" first. In fact....after saying "raise" in NL, after placing the call portion in the pot...you may only go back into the pot with your bet in 1 single motion unless you in fact declare a specific amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this fine point, but I was involved in a discussion about this in a big tournament. Two well known pro's were at the table and apparently one was known as a stickler for string bet/raises.

I had just won the previous pot and was still stacking. One pro (the stickler) limps in front of me, the other folds. I intend to raise to $1000. Normally I would say "raise to $1000", but I think I just say "raise". Since my stack is a mess, I grab 5 blacks with one hand and follow with 5 blacks in the other. I'm not paying that much attention, so I don't know how "one motion" this seems to be.

The hand finishes, and the pro out of the hand says to the other that he was surprised he didn't call a string raise on me (mostly joking). The guy in the hand says he thought I stated the amount, so it was fine. I can't even remember, but others at the table say no, that I just said raise. So he says, "I guess I missed an opportunity". Note that this was all very good natured.

I guess my point is that I don't think that just saying "raise" is good enough. It seems to me it is still a string raise if you say "raise", move out 5 chips, pause, and then move in 5 more.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 PM

.....well, I would say that it all depends upon what the original bet was?

In this case, if the 500 that you put into the pot represents a 'legitmate raise' (i.e. it is more than twice the original amount) then, given that you put the 2nd 500 in the pot in a subsequent action COULD be called a string bet, if one was to challenge with 'he made TWO motions, one with each hand, and they were NOT simultaneous'.

If that challenge is made, the dealer calls the floor, tells his story and what he saw, and a ruling is made.

If the dealer says it was same motion, the total raise stands; if he says they were subsequent motions, only the 500 would count, as it's amount, by itself alone, constitutes a legitimate raise.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.....well, I would say that it all depends upon what the original bet was?

In this case, if the 500 that you put into the pot represents a 'legitmate raise' (i.e. it is more than twice the original amount) then, given that you put the 2nd 500 in the pot in a subsequent action COULD be called a string bet, if one was to challenge with 'he made TWO motions, one with each hand, and they were NOT simultaneous'.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original bet was $200, so my $500 would have been a legit raise and by rights, my actions COULD have been a string raise. I always try to announce the raise amount in addition to just "raise", and in this case even I think that I could have been called out for the string bet. I couldn't remember myself what I said, so I wouldn't have been in position to argue.

Just having that discussion at the table helped reinforce my habit of verbalizing the raise amount.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Did they put in new felt recently? There never used to be lines at the Bellagio.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:37 PM

I'm going to join the chorus, and suggest that you just do it right, then nobody can call you on the string raise. Besides, it's a limit game. If you grab $7 or $9, the dealer will correct it. Say raise, or grab a stack of $8 or more, and nobody can call you on a string raise. Your not mute are you? With a little practice, I bet you could eyeball a stack of eight chips and not be off by more than 1. It's not that hard. Learn to do it right, and nobody can complain.