Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Re: They say it builds character...

Awesome response. I was trying to figure out what you would say after I posted this, you did not disappoint.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:21 PM

So you think its better to just say sorry those stats are meaningless, please post a bunch of random hands so we can look at.

I've already made several lengthy posts about this, but let me reiterate one last time: the person seeking help has to pick out hands. That's it. Not random hands. Representative hands that indicate an example of a portion of your game that you think requires work.

If you post hands and hear "this is standard", then you post a different type of hand and either get feedback which shows "yeah, I need to work on this" or "this is standard", and so on and so forth.

It's learning this process that makes a lot of the SS posters who graduated from micro so valuable.

If you don't know how to identify the problem areas in your game (either through public feedback or through self-analysis), I don't see how you're going to be helped by someone throwing darts at the wall and hoping to hit something relevant.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:32 PM

I don't think you are necessarily a loser in this game but a 400BB downswing basically proves that if you are a winner, it isn't by very much.

The real place for your question I think is the Probability forum, not because it isn't relevant here but because you will get better answers, because those guys know the statistical calculations required to tell you exactly what you need to know.

"Evan said himself that he was on a 200BB downswing - well, if it can happen once it can happen twice."

A statement like this really demonstrates a hole in your understanding of how poker works statistically. The probability of a winning player having a 200bb downswing is radically different from the probability of a winning player having a 400bb downswing. It's not in the same ballpark, state, or galaxy.

My best guess is that you play fine when things are going your way, but if you start running poorly you go on tilt without realizing it. This would explain your 38k hands of 2BB/100 if they were uneventful, and also explain your meltdown.

Good luck improving your game and turning your downswing around.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:37 PM

You make good points but I don't think you can say that "throwing darts" is the best a good poster can do when analyzing stats. I don't like PT posts either but I have seem some pretty amazing replies on those threads as far as suggesting what might be going wrong. For a person with weak self-evaluation skills, I'm sure these sorts of responses can be very enlightening.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even after this streak I still have an overall win rate of 2BB/100 for the 38k 2/4 hands

[/ QUOTE ]
I just did the math on this. Your winrate for your first 20k hands was therefore 5.8 bb/100. Is this what you had?

Hard to belive you could go from +5.8 to -2.22 in consectutice stretched of ~20k hands.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:49 PM

You're right. If you post the entire big stat block, you can pick stuff up. I just think the discussions tend to settle around people's ideas of "ideal stats", sacrificing game context, the interrelatedness of the different stats, and the actual actions and thought processes that make the stats.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 PM

Yes definitely. That's why I don't like them, but if people did a better job in discussing then they could be better.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Let This Thread Die

this thread sucks
Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 PM

I think that 10 hand posts would do a lot more to help someone's game then posting every single stat that PT can spit out. Its really amazing the wealth of poker strategy knowledge here and what it can do to improve a player.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:37 PM

I'm in a tough situation here. The more I tell you I'm convinced that I'm a solid winning player the more you're going to think I'm in denial [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I realise that when a random person shows up here and tells about a 400BB losing streak odds are that person is doing something very wrong. Naturally you're suspicious. But seriously, don't worry about me.

[ QUOTE ]
b. The clearest red flag in the stats you've provided is Won $ at SD, which is low, which indicates that you may be calling down too much. This is really the only red flag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or possibly an unending string of suckouts and second best hands in large pots? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I admit that I didn't post this with the intention of getting feedback on my game. I was more interested in hearing if any of you had gone through similar streaks (which is why I decided to post in this forum). I provided the stats PT as reference not as something to discuss.

So maybe this is a bad beat post as Evan suggested, and maybe it is the wrong forum. But it looks to me like the forum nazis are cluttering this forum up much more than the few people posting in the wrong place.