Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Players Who Report Your Chat Online

[ QUOTE ]
I am extremely quick to criticize racists, but if somebody tells a racial joke that is actually funny (most are not), who the hell cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT . . is just red-neck humor at it's best.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-10-2004, 05:20 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
i'm amazed at how ignorant this grandgnu guy is. with so many well-thought out responses to his question, he still cannot grasp how much of a moron he really is. how many times are you going to use the response, oh, stop being so sensitive, to all opposing views. or, just block my chat. no matter how many people decide not to take your comments offensively, or just decide to block your chat, you still cannot grasp the concept of racial insensitivity. i doubt you ever will.

i don't mind commenting more if you'd like, but i feel it may be a lost cause. you post about comments about your own chat behavior, and can't understand why most responses think you are a complete idiot and should stop. instead, you consistently respond, dont be so sensitive.

what it basically comes down to, is if it is offensive to a particular group of people, especially, of which you are not part of, and you are making fun of them, they have a right to be upset. i won't argue with the fact that you do have a right to be a douchebag. if your goal is to get your opponents on tilt due to you acting like a douchebag, then so be it, but from your responses, it doesn't seem like that is your point.

are you gonna tell me to stop being so sensitive?

patient77

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess I look at all people as people. Are there jews, blacks, hispanics, asians, whites/rednecks, etc. who fit certain stereotypes? Sure are, and that's why some people find them amusing, because they've seen those generalizations before. Comedy is often amusing because we can relate.

Regardless, I don't view ALL people of one race as acting the same way. My mother, who is Jewish, believes that all Arabs are suicide bombers because this is what she sees on the news. She can't fathom that the jew vs. muslim conflict over there has a lot of grey areas and isn't so black & white to dissect.

I guess I just don't have patience or sympathy for someone who can be upset by the comments I am making. No one can hurt your feelings or upset you unless YOU allow them to. If you are weak personally, if you are not strong mentally and sure of yourself and ok with who you are, then people can and will get under your skin.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry you feel that way. I still feel like you're taking my comments too seriously. Does this mean you can't enjoy a comedy movie where someone is made fun of, perhaps in a stereotypical type of way? Can you watch Rush Hour with Jackie Chan & Chris Tucker and laugh or does something like that offend you too?

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument ignores the fact that to watch the movie you are making an affirmative act of going to the theater and paying for your ticket and/or paying for a rental/netflix/HBO. In your case, it is more like the afformentioned bullhorn in your living room.

[/ QUOTE ]

But when you go online, whether in forums like these or online gaming where there is a chat feature, you know this type of stuff is going to pop up. There will be players who will insult your mother, who will threaten to kill you, who will laugh when you move all-in with K/K and they call with Q/8 and the flop is 8/8/Q.

But, in the end, the site that features the chat has the right to outlaw my choice of words and I have to abide by it (i.e. they revoke my chat so I have to wait awhile before I can act the fool again)
Old 11-10-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean you can't enjoy a comedy movie where someone is made fun of, perhaps in a stereotypical type of way? Can you watch Rush Hour with Jackie Chan & Chris Tucker and laugh or does something like that offend you too?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not even close to the same thing. YOU are not a comic. YOU are not a TV show and YOU are not a movie.

When people go out to see stand up comedy or a movie, or when they chose to stay in and watch some TV, they EXPECT that they may see or hear some things that may be a offensive. In this sense they are PREPARED for it and understand that in some artistict way it may be called for.

People do not expect (and are not prepared) to hear the S H I T that you spout, when they are walking down the street, sitting on a bus, eating in a restaurant OR playing a game of on-line poker. That is why it is OFFENSIVE and not ok to do.

Obviously you think of yourself as a repressed comic, but you really should find a better outlet for your "small man" syndrome.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, insulting mister-happy-pants, eh? People are used to going into online forums like this, and online chatting in poker and dealing with people who threaten them with violence, insult them and make terrible plays and then laugh and call the player who made a good play an idiot because the bad player got lucky.

It's all part of the "online culture". Again, I still think those who find this THAT offensive need to lighten up and take a different approach to life. I'm not sensitive about much of anything and I don't plan to get all sissified and holding hands and putting kids in "time-outs" like some hippie.

It's not like I'm running around telling someone they have small "bleep" and I have big "bleep" like Matasau. I'm imitating a character as seen on television in an online forum, and I still say you need to lighten up.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Your Answer

[ QUOTE ]
Admittingly you're mindless chitter chatter is not patently offensive. It still can be offensive to some, and they should not have to expel any additional effort just because you want to be a douche bag.

This is not a grander issue of "political correctness"; decent human behavior should include not trying to annoy/offend/hurt your fellow man when they have not tried to annoy/offend/hurt you.

What's worse then the offensive comments to Asians, is that it is simply not funny. That's right, despite what you believe, you are not funny. Every post you wrote proved you’re the kind of person who habitually types "LOL" after their own jokes and probably laughs uncontrollably whenever someone sends you an email forward with a really fat chick.

Your lack of discipline at the table, or logic in this matter is astounding. It can only be forgiven because of your probable small intellect or your small social circle, which should have told you that you were not funny ages ago.

Oh yeah.

Stop the <smirk> it's really lame.

Seriously, you suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's ROR (i.e. raugh out roud). And I find it funny that you had to go and create a new account and post under it instead of revealing your true forum posting ID. Regardless, I suck, fine, I can live with myself either way.

And while you may not find me funny, others do, and I amuse and entertain myself. I have ZERO obligation to make sure anyone in life is happy but myself. And if I can get some super-sensitive hippie at the table on tilt and take all their chips, all the better. I have no "friends" at the poker table, everyone is there to take my money and I'm there to take theirs.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm offended by people who get "offended"

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

chicagotroy's response just shows how many ignorant racists there really are out there. the amazing thing is that none of these douches believe they are racist, and are quite offended when their racism is pointed out.

how immature an attitude to think that if it isn't personally insulting to you, and you think its funny, it's automatically okay and everyone else should just chill out. chicagotroy, and grandgnu, can you actually comprehend that those idiotic chat posts, although not offensive to you or your family or your friends and are possibly funny for you, are actually insulting and demeaning to a great number of people. can you understand that just because you don't find them offensive, doesn't mean everyone should think like you? do you understand that everyone shouldn't just chill out or become less sensitive due to your lack of understanding of other people and cultures, the racism or acts of racism they have suffered? or are you so thick headed and moronic to believe that that which YOU don't find offensive can actually be extremely offensive to some?

now go back home you rednecks and have sex with your sister. hahahaaha. oh im so funny. im a goddamn comedian. im just like grandgnu, maybe we should take our comedy act on the road..... maybe if i type this redneck joke over and over in the poker chats, everyone will have a great laugh because it's SO funny. chill out all you sensitive rednecks....it's a joke so don't take offense. stop being such babies....grandgnu, can u be my mentor, my poker chatting may need some work....

patient77
Old 11-10-2004, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general rule of potentially rude comedy is that if it's funny, it's OK. "ROR Ragh out Roud" had me cracking up. I am extremely quick to criticize racists, but if somebody tells a racial joke that is actually funny (most are not), who the hell cares.

Offended players can block your chat, so there is no need to be offended. You say what you want, they don't have to listen. This is an adults-only environment, so they can deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

*bows* Thank you very much!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chicagotroy's response just shows how many ignorant racists there really are out there. the amazing thing is that none of these douches believe they are racist, and are quite offended when their racism is pointed out.

how immature an attitude to think that if it isn't personally insulting to you, and you think its funny, it's automatically okay and everyone else should just chill out. chicagotroy, and grandgnu, can you actually comprehend that those idiotic chat posts, although not offensive to you or your family or your friends and are possibly funny for you, are actually insulting and demeaning to a great number of people. can you understand that just because you don't find them offensive, doesn't mean everyone should think like you? do you understand that everyone shouldn't just chill out or become less sensitive due to your lack of understanding of other people and cultures, the racism or acts of racism they have suffered? or are you so thick headed and moronic to believe that that which YOU don't find offensive can actually be extremely offensive to some?

now go back home you rednecks and have sex with your sister. hahahaaha. oh im so funny. im a goddamn comedian. im just like grandgnu, maybe we should take our comedy act on the road..... maybe if i type this redneck joke over and over in the poker chats, everyone will have a great laugh because it's SO funny. chill out all you sensitive rednecks....it's a joke so don't take offense. stop being such babies....grandgnu, can u be my mentor, my poker chatting may need some work....

patient77

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can be offended or have their feelings hurt unless they allow someone to do that to them. I am sure enough of myself that I don't allow the short jokes, the jew jokes, the italian jokes, etc. to bother me.

And I don't have any sympathy for someone who does. I could see if I was running around calling all asians g**ks and sl**t e**es or something and being generally mean-spirited towards them or another group.

But I'm not being mean-spirited, I'm being silly and saying things in a way not meant to harm people. If someone can't take my measly chat silliness without blowing a gasket then they probably:

1. Shouldn't be playing poker because they're too emotional and it will cost them money in the long run

2. Are probably working too many hours per week and unhappy with their lack of family, social and luxury time

3. Freak out in road rage incidents and view any slight to be a declaration of war upon them that they must meet with violence

Oh yeah, and, "racist" is defined as:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I do not feel that any race is superior to others and look at all humanity as one whole race, not as separate groups. Then again, I also think that the party system in the U.S. needs to be disbanded (i.e. Republicans try to make Dems look bad and vice versa, instead of working towards the common good)

So you are correct, I do not see myself as racist. If I was racist how could I associate with asians, blacks and hispanics on an equal level (i.e. I don't look down upon them for their race or consider myself superior)

You're making me out to be a white supremicist because I say "velly rice!"
Old 11-10-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Your Answer

maybe i should just give up. although i don't find grandgnu's responses to a lot of the posts here mean spirited, i just don't think he will ever see beyond his argument that people shouldn't be offended by racism because he isn't offended by it.

"No one can be offended or have their feelings hurt unless they allow someone to do that to them". with this logic, i can beat and rape your mom or sister, and you shouldn't be hurt or offended because you shouldn't allow someone else's behavior to affect your mood. never mind the fact that we live in a public world and people can act or do as they please, but with your logic, nobody is ever accountable because they should be able to turn off their emotions. yes, i believe that online poker chatrooms and forums represent the public world as well.

do u understand that nobody is asking you to be racist, but yet you feel you deserve the right to act that way, and anyone who takes offense has the right not to be offended as well. but just because we have the ability to not be offended, doesn't mean we aren't. in my dumb analogy, you have the ability to not be upset about me raping your sister, but you sure have the right to be because i'm the one who caused the situation. just like you are causing people to feel offended by your "jokes".

and lastly, if u were at a poker table with another asian guy, who for arguments sake is bigger than you and wouldn't mind beating you down, would you still make your hilarious jokes? why does hiding behind anonymity at an online poker table therefore make it okay? i'm still baffled about your logic that noone has to take it offensively, because you yourself dont find it offensive. if we lived in a society where anyone can do whatever they wanted, and their excuse is always, "well, you don't have to feel hurt or insulted by what i did", i'd be very scared.

patient77