Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: well... let\'s go Angels!!!

When the Sox played the yanks in a late season game that was the Fox game of the week, Fox did a funny intro that was Star Wars based. Of course, the yankees were the Evil Empire. Guess who Johnny Damon was? You might not think of it right away but shown side by side, it was hilarious.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:03 PM

okay, I didn't see the game but I am going to guess...
Jar Jar Binks.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay, I didn't see the game but I am going to guess...
Jar Jar Binks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'll give you a hint and one more guess. They have similar hair.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:05 PM

I can't stand Berman, but I think I'll defend him here. I've heard the term "pulling the string" to describe a curveball a lot of times. I think it refers to the motion of the pitcher's hand when he releases the ball.

That's not what the term refers to at all. "Pulling the string" refers to the hitter's perception of an offspeed pitch and almost always refers to a changeup. The ball appears to be a fastball of one type or another, and then when the batter begins to swing at it, it's all of a sudden not as close as it should be, as if it were attached to a string and the pitcher "pulled the string" on it. That term really requires that the pitch be swung at to have any sort of relevant whatsoever, and it does not refer to the type of curveball that Pedro has.

GoT

GoT
Old 10-07-2004, 12:08 PM

I once saw Willie Mays airmail a throw to the backstop from medium center field at Dodger Stadium. And this was towards the end of his career, probably 1970 or so, when he would have been 39.

OT: The first baseball book I remember reading, which I alluded to in another thread, had a story about Mays which I still remember. The writer said Mays was told he was the most exciting player in the game. Mays responded by saying he doesn't get excited, why would somebody say that, he's very calm during a game. The writer then said that it was explained to Mays what the difference was between "exciting" and "excited."

It was supposed to be a cute story, and I remember being amused as a kid. But now it seems that maybe it wasn't so cute. That maybe they were (un?)consciously insulting Mays's intelligence in a way that was acceptable for white writers to do in 1960.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 PM

There is, as I said before, a first time for everything. Especially when Clemens and Pettitte no longer have pinstripes on.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:13 PM

Is it Chewbacca?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:16 PM

Yeah Mays is one of those exceptions. But remember he played in an era in which nerds weren't computing optimal strategy, so it's likely some "dumb" manager would "waste" him in CF, because as well all know now, the "smart" thing to do is put someone like him in left or right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I really wish I could have seen him play.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 PM

Default And while we\'re criticizing . . .

. . . how do you get picked off second base with the bases loaded?

I once saw Willie Davis get picked off first base with the bases loaded. My date, who knew nothing about baseball but, I was hoping, knew other, more important things (turns out she didn't--funny how we remember such things), had been patiently listening to me explaining how the game worked for an hour. After Davis got picked off, she kind of looked puzzled for a while and then, finally, inquired, "Where was he going?"

Pretty perceptive. I'm sure the manager might well have asked Davis the same thing when he got into the dugout.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: And while we\'re criticizing . . .

[ QUOTE ]
how do you get picked off second base with the bases loaded?

[/ QUOTE ] Lack oh heart I think [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I dunno, but no one ever said the Red Sox were good baserunners, with maybe the exception of a few players.