Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Best album you have bought in the last 6 months thread.

Hmm... I would disagree with most of that but don't feel music is something that can be argued very well so I'll just say that I really like both APC albums and would be surprised to find someone who liked the first that didn't like the second.

They are both great IMO.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the package - good track
weak and powerless - mostly relies on the chorus
the noose - really relies on the chorus
blue - completely relies on the chorus
vanishing - really filler
a stranger - mostly filler
the outsider - entertaining but the entire song is the chorus
crimes - completely filler
the nurse who loved me - interesting cover, good track
pet - chorus-reliant...with a weak chorus
lullaby - completely
gravity - good track

the filler songs are useless, and most of the songs would be vacant without a chorus. this isn't to say that it's not the strong point of most things, but it seems their whole writing process was around making a chorus and then coming up with anything at all to cover the distance between the repetitions. remove the filler and you have less than 40 minutes of content, and most of it is unremarkable.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:22 PM

You're a tough critic. Like I said, there is some filler (and that pisses me off some) and it's not as good as the first album. It's still probably better than 999 of 1000 random cd's you walk by at the ole wal marts. There really isn't much out there for someone with my taste in music nowadays, so I take what I can get. Maybe I like the "good" songs more than you though.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:49 PM

you guys are making me feel old.

back in the day i knew all about the new and hip bands...but i grew up in a small college town with a cool radio-station.
i'm just not in tune with all the info around here....but other memphians seem to know what's going on so i'm not really sure i can blame the location.

the shins sold-out a show here about 6 months ago...but it was before i had ever heard of them so i missed out.
i did see elvis costello there a couple months ago so that kind of makes up for it doesn't it??

looking forward to getting the new wilco.

i think the strokes are extremely over-rated.

to the guy that saw The Doves at the Trocadero in Philly.
i VERY MUCH wish i could have been at that show.
i made my first trip into Philly when i was living in upstate NY and HAD to see Luna at the Troc.

speaking of which....Luna has a new CD coming out at some point...not sure exactly when. but i suspect that will qualify as 'the best CD i WILL buy within the NEXT 6 months'
Old 07-23-2004, 06:33 PM

I forgot to meantion that The Doves - Lost Souls is the best album to come out in the last 5 years without much competition. While their next album was a total let down [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 07:20 PM

i liked a few tracks from Doves Lost Souls....but thought that many of the tracks really dragged it down thus i didn't care for the entire CD as a whole.

cold play 'parachutes' has to be considered amongst the best in the past 5 years. in spite of its mainstream success it's still pretty darn good.
i liked wilco 'yankee doodle fox trot' a lot also.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:41 PM

Evanescense of course. The album of the century...maybe I'm overselling it [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2004, 02:06 AM

I think I got all of these in the last six months:

Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (these guys are the feckin tits without a doubt)

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (my favorite of theirs so far)

The Holmes Brothers - Where It's At (this is an old tape I got at a garage sale - great blues band)

NT
Old 07-24-2004, 02:12 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (my favorite of theirs so far)

wow
Old 07-24-2004, 07:42 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Lost Souls wasn't like that for me. It's probably the only album in ages in which i put on press play and don't touch anything then, i like all the tracks almost equally and i think the order of them flow perfectly, as more of a story telling album. The songs go through a wide variation but there's always this dark-under-laying strange effects and interesting sounds layered upon layers in the background over their indie style. It's an album i put on and hear something new everytime i listen to it. For me the 2nd album was the album in which i just found good songs.