Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Movie
Crash 17 70.83%
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Was Scalf Referring to Blacks in These Posts?

I think the terms "Orient" and "Oriental" were value-laden in the West, in a demeaning or derogatory way. Things like "the inscrutable Oriental mind," or "life is cheap in the Orient."

http://www.english.emory.edu/Bahri/Orientalism.html.

Euphemisms can be politically or PC motivated ("People's Republic of China" for Communist dictatorship) or motivated by other concerns (decency or politeness). I don't think Oriental is necessarily any more accurate than Asian because what, exactly, are the geographic confines of the "Orient"?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Was Scalf Referring to Blacks in These Posts?.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] MMMMMM

try telling south carolina's favorite son (a.k.a. jesse jackson) that using the term negro is correct...if you or your organization are found to have used negro (except of course negro league baseball is correct)..you will be subject to intense criticism on national/international tv/radio; will be subject to a nationwide (usa) , or even international boycott; and subject to jesses "Rent-a-Riot" coming to your town and picketting your headquarters.

yeah; i'm not kidding.

using the word negro today (except negro league <baseball&gt is not acceptable; and people who use the word negro will be labeled as racist..

jmho

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lakeisha

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You found one. So 99% of Lakeishas are black and not 100%. BFD.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Querey: pt...???

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] in your well-written post of abov: you mention that : "it's their (blacks) choice not ours.( non-blacks; probably whites; excet, of course, in california. )

that is such a racist statemant; "how do you know that every poster on this forum is not african-american" come on; is race mentioned anywhere on this forum; either officially; or casually??

it's almost embarrassing: shame on you!!!!

by the way: how do you know scalf's race; how do you know that i am not african-american?? you can object; and state i am just picking at a trivial point...but again; i specifically, and respectfully, ask you to answer this question:

what race is scalf? what are we doing when we assume that scalf is ours and not theirs (these words taken from the bottom of your post.

i personally find the last statement of your post , and i quote, : "the bottom line is that it's their choice, not ours." to be morally undefensible and one of the most disgusting racist statements i have ever read.

one more question: what is the legal definition of race in the usa currently? what i am asking is: regardless of what the exact wording (essentially; 'what is currently politically acceptable'): what is the definition of a "african-american"

gl

jmho

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 PM

.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and what a babe she is....!!!

lol

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 02:55 PM

lol
Old 09-02-2005, 03:05 PM

http://www.africultures.com/anglais/...41cremieux.htm
Old 09-02-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it the "pc police" who devised these terms? I thought "black" and "African-American" came into vogue because of usage by the group themselves, that this is the term themselves preferred. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anybody here actually know any black people?
From these posts it seems that eveyone here lives in Whitelandia, Suburbia and who's only interaction with blacks is when they accidentally flip to UPN.
Over the course of my life, living and going to school in NYC, I have had many co-workers, friends, and aquantances of every possible race and nationality.
90% of black people that I have known do not use the term "African American" in place of "black" and 100% of them are not offended by being refered to as "black".
As a side note, a majority of black people that I have been friends also will laugh at a black joke. (Just as I will laugh at an Italian joke, a fat joke, or for that matter, a poker player joke. Most people are not as sensitive as the PC police would like everyone to think.

"If you must refer to my race, call me black, not “African American.” It is offensive to me. There is no such color, race, or nationality. I am an American of African descent."
-La Shawn Barber (Noted Black Journalist)
Old 09-02-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, "Asian" is less accurate than "Oriental", as many Asians are actually Caucasian, being from parts of Russia rather than from the Orient. Hence "Asian" may lead to confusion in meaning; it is overbroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This remark shows your ignorance of what both "race" and "ethnicity" are widely accepted to be.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:11 PM

"if you or your organization are found to have used negro (except of course negro league baseball is correct)..you will be subject to intense criticism on national/international tv/radio; will be subject to a nationwide (usa) , or even international boycott; and subject to jesses 'Rent-a-Riot' coming to your town and picketting your headquarters."

Can you provide an example of any of these things for use of the word "Negro"? I'm particularly interested in when Jessie Jackson picketed or organized a riot at a headquarters because an organizaton or a person in the organization used the word "Negro."

Or is it my own prejudices that are causing me to read too much into your post to know that you were referring to Jessie Jackson?