Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Greatest sports comeback ever!

[ QUOTE ]
He came back with 1 leg and did the ironman, which takes more than any sport out there. You're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]
People coming back from losing a leg below the knee to do everything they could do before is commonplace.
<font color="white"> I know, I watched my father do it. </font>
Old 11-14-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He came back with 1 leg and did the ironman, which takes more than any sport out there. You're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]
What he did was a remarkable thing and I have a great deal of respect for him. However this thread is about best sports comeback in a game or in a series and his clearly does not apply to this criteria.
The best comeback ever was when I was down 12 at half time in the NFC championship game in Madden and won the game in regulation.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What he did was a remarkable thing and I have a great deal of respect for him. However this thread is about best sports comeback in a game or in a series and his clearly does not apply to this criteria.
The best comeback ever was when I was down 12 at half time in the NFC championship game in Madden and won the game in regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the OP clearly says that it can be a comeback from injury.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best one in recent memory is Liverpool storming back against Milan in the Champions League Final, and then winning in Penalties. Just as good, if not better, than the Sox.

Remember that this might be the third biggest single sporting even in the world, behind the World Cup Final and the Superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

That the game was decided on penalties seriously detracts form its greatness.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best comeback was when my high school wrestling team started the season 2-10, and then won our last 9 meets to finish with a winning season.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best one in recent memory is Liverpool storming back against Milan in the Champions League Final, and then winning in Penalties. Just as good, if not better, than the Sox.

Remember that this might be the third biggest single sporting even in the world, behind the World Cup Final and the Superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? Face it: soccer needs penalties. You can't play forever on three substitutions.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear your opinions on the greatest sprots comeback ever. Anything from overcome a huge score deficit to a small but momentous one or a personal comeback after an injury, anything, apples vs oranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, reading usually helps.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:10 AM

11/14/05 Monday Night Football

Cowboys come back from a 20-7 deficit to win. They also put a WTFPWN injury on Donovan McNabb at the end in retribution for Philly fans cheering Michael Irvin's injury.

That's the greatest sports comeback in history.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? Face it: soccer needs penalties. You can't play forever on three substitutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can. Sooner or later, someone's going to get tired and blow an assignment, and there's your game. Besides, it wouldn't take much of a rule change to give you additional subs if a game goes into overtime.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure you can. Sooner or later, someone's going to get tired and blow an assignment, and there's your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is no better than deciding the game on penalties.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, it wouldn't take much of a rule change to give you additional subs if a game goes into overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Teams only have 5 bench players, and 1 is usally a keeper. Are you going to allow players back into the game? I guess this could work in theory, but I'm not sure it's any better than penalties.

We could debate penalties all night. My point was that having the game decided on PKs does not detract from the fact that Liverpool scored three consecutive second half goals against one of the top couple teams in the world to win the biggest (club) soccer game in the world.