Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best steak cut?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had a hanger steak? Dry aged prime beef?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i have. my favorite is at Gordon Biersch (try it if you are around DC), but it's not close to the best filet mignon i've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gordon Biersch in San Francisco, assuming that they are the same, is an armpit.

So you've had a hanger steak? Opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the gordon biersch in san jose is pretty overrated. there is a market by my house called new leaf that sells all kinds of organic premium meats and i usually shop for meat and produce there. deeeeeeelicious.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is New Leaf at?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This Gordon Biersch? It's a damn brewpub.

[/ QUOTE ]

a brewpub that also has great meat and potatoes. it's not a bar, it's more upscale and yes it brews its beers onsite.

the hanger steak is good. never been to the SF one, but SJ downtown is where i've had the hanger steak. very good. (i now live in DC) for filet mignon in San Jose you gotta go Hungry Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hungry Hunter is closed (at least the one on Blossom Hill). If you want a good steak in San Jose, go to Spencer's. La Foret in Almaden has the most tender steak and wild game around but you'll be dropping $100 a person. There is another place in Los Gatos, can't think of the name, but it is real close to the Black Watch.

BUT if you want THE best steak in the Bay Area, you have to go to Ruth's Chris in San Francisco!!! One of the best steakhouses in the US.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:20 PM

My post did not need fixing. I know what a porterhouse is, and that's what I meant. Report to me directly for an immediate kicking in the nuts.

al
Old 09-15-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This Gordon Biersch? It's a damn brewpub.

[/ QUOTE ]

a brewpub that also has great meat and potatoes. it's not a bar, it's more upscale and yes it brews its beers onsite.

the hanger steak is good. never been to the SF one, but SJ downtown is where i've had the hanger steak. very good. (i now live in DC) for filet mignon in San Jose you gotta go Hungry Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hungry Hunter is closed (at least the one on Blossom Hill). If you want a good steak in San Jose, go to Spencer's. La Foret in Almaden has the most tender steak and wild game around but you'll be dropping $100 a person. There is another place in Los Gatos, can't think of the name, but it is real close to the Black Watch.

BUT if you want THE best steak in the Bay Area, you have to go to Ruth's Chris in San Francisco!!! One of the best steakhouses in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ruth's Chris is at best the 5th best steakhouse in SF, probably not even that.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to freak anybody out or anything, but we all know that a Porterhouse is a Tender Loin (filet) on one side and NY Strip on the other right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course everyone who has picked Porterhouse knows that. I assume you don't know that a bone-in Ribeye tastes different than a Ribeye?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone like flank steak? i do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan of flank steak for when I want to marinate and grill. I think the striated texture increases the surface area and takes in more marinade.

So for this thread (flavor of the meat standing on its own) I'd say porterhouse.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to freak anybody out or anything, but we all know that a Porterhouse is a Tender Loin (filet) on one side and NY Strip on the other right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The meat close to the bone is the best part. Why do you think osso buco is so good?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM

In DC go to Sam and Harrys on 19th st (across from The Palm)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Chateau Bre?????.. (however you spell it, you know what I mean)

The chateau is similar to the London Broil, but a better cut and is not as stringy (ie more tender than London)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, what has public education hath wrought!!!!

Chateaubriand is the center cut out of a whole tenderloin – the whole piece that filet mignons are cut from.

Cut off the butt (large end) just where the muscle splits and the tail + about one good thick filet mignon, the centerpiece will become your Chateaubriand. Trim off all the exposed fat. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Season the meat with salt and pepper only, coat with vegetable oil. Heat a large iron skillet as hot as you can make it (like until it will melt lead!) open all your windows, take the battery out of your smoke detector and place the roast in the skillet. Sear for 2 minutes/rotate a third/repeat/repeat. When the meat is seared (crusty and brown) all the way around place it on a pre-heated roasting rack in the oven; 10 minutes for <font color="red"> really rare </font>12 minutes for rare, 14 minuets for just medium rare. Any more – order the chicken. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes covered in foil. Slice ¾ of an inch thick as needed and serve with béarnaise sauce and the most expensive red Claret or Bordeaux you can afford.

If you have a good hot gas grill you can sear it on that and avoid smoking up your house.

Done right you can cut it with a fork and women will swoon when you feed it to them

If you don’t want to go to the trouble of buying and trimming your own tenderloin some of the high-end steak houses offer Chateaubriand for two. The only chain I know of that does is Morton’s and it’s not on the menu, but they will usually make it if you tell them when you make your reservation. I believe Sam and Harry’s in DC has in on the menu and Smith and Wollensky serves it on holidays
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 PM

Chateaubriand. But I think it's a type of filet. Anyway it melts in your mouth.