Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

GG and keep up the good work. I always find it interesting to read honest stories like this.

This I found really intriguing:

[ QUOTE ]
My uncle, a person who I would consider to be very wise at times, has said that once you begin to study something in life, anything, with all your ability, that your brain will operate and open up in ways that it never has before. Maybe he is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is true and will find out myself in the near future.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can you explain to me why it is that you are such a dick to me paluka?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much respect for that MD. I have a tremendous respect for Paluka's thoughts, but his goal has always seemed to be group/club approval. For an NYC guy, I'm disappointed. I've had my ass kissed at the table in AC by better for general bs, I'm sure. And they were just looking to be friendly. For whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Group/club appoval? If making dickish responses to TStoneMBD's posts is making me more popular, I've yet to see it. What would happen if this were true? I'd get more PMs from Astroglide?
TStoneMBD talks about brutal honesty in his original post. And that is what my posts are about. I wasn't trying to be a dick in my response in this thread. I was being honest. It really does look like he has purposely made choices to make his own life miserable. At a very young age he decided to become a poker pro, despite any evidence that he is an exceptional poker player. Then he moves 7 hours away to a random place where he knows nobody, and of course he won't meet anyone because he is an internet hermit. Anyone on earth could have told him this wasn't likely to be a route to happiness. Given that he posts on 2+2 constantly about everyday issues like "how much to get a TV repaired" and "how much to ship my stuff overseas" and "what is the best way for me to evade taxes" and "was I wrong to call with my gutshot getting 5 to 1" you would think he could have asked if being an internet hermit in a random town in Connecticut was a good idea. He might have, but apparentely he didn't listen to the advice because I can't believe that anyone told him it was a good idea. So, yes. I believe he has made a bunch of bad, easily fixed decisions that have led to him being less happy than he could be.
Another reason why I'm a dick to TStoneMBD is because I honestly think his posts rank among the stupidest on 2+2 of any frequent poster. He posted "reviews" of the Star Wars films in which he not only showed that he could not follow the simple plots, but he also did not know what the word "review" meant. And I'm not even going to go into his endless posts about the mundane parts of everyday life that he could easily figure out on his own in 5 seconds.
In closing, I think TStoneMBD would be a lot better off if he re-examined some of his decisions better. Being a dick to him amuses me, and just might wake him up a bit. I may be wrong sometimes, but usually if I think someone is consistently being retarded they are probably doing something wrong. So maybe I'll have fun being a dick, and TStone might improve himself a bit. Then it is win/win for all.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 AM

good post. I think being honest with yourself and wanting to improve are a really powerful combination.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Sounds to me as if you've committed yourself to playing poker to live, pay the bills, etc...yet you are already discontent with poker as a long term life "plan" and career direction.

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen IMO, but if you are making it as a full time pro for over a year now, it sounds like you can at least continue to do that until a more appealing option becomes available. But as in all things, that and your future path are in your hands...often/most times the option won't just present itself, you have to create the option.

Unfortunately, as you become more and more discontent with poker, you'll want to play less and less but need to play more and more in order to get by. Ugly set of circumstances, start thinking about a new plan...like today.

Perhaps you should make playing poker to pay for your college tuition an immediate goal such that you always have something to fall back on throughout your consistently changing interests now and in the future.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive thought about this before, but ive never played golf before besides driving range (i can hit the thing like 150 yards with no accuracy) and minature golf. can you just join a local golf club, shoot a par 93 and not be the idiot whos standing on the green?

[/ QUOTE ]

theres no way you'll shoot a 93 if you've never gone before
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i signed a 1 year lease

[/ QUOTE ]
you could probably sublet the place, if you really wanted to go somewhere else.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 AM

I don't know much about playing poker proffesionally but I thought yoadrians post seemed like pretty good advice. Working a couple nights a week as a bartender or something like that would probably be fun, as well as something to fill time on your resume if/when you ever have to get a real job.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At a very young age he decided to become a poker pro, despite any evidence that he is an exceptional poker player. Then he moves 7 hours away to a random place where he knows nobody, and of course he won't meet anyone because he is an internet hermit. Anyone on earth could have told him this wasn't likely to be a route to happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And unhappy people with deteriorating physical and mental health aren't going to play their best, so this isn't even a good idea from a poker point of view. MDB is describing depression sypmtoms that are pretty clearly evolving as a result of his "career" choice. A wake-up call is warranted.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Why don't you post in the home poker forum and try to organize a home game with local 2+2ers? A good way to meet new people that you have something in common with.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:38 AM

unnecessarily harsh IMO.