Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

[ QUOTE ]
Pilots make very little money if/until they get to be a pilot for a major airline-big planes, and then they make a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

I'm not quitting the flying business by any means. I just need a way to make good money while building flight time on the side. I can't live on $18k/year being a flight instructor full-time.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does being a grad student count? It's almost like a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, he he he he, ha ha ha ha haw haw he ha ha ha!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Being a *serious* grad student is prolly one of the most difficult jobs out there. You have to bust your ass to earn the respect of students who are barely younger than you, and once you've graded their papers you have to somehow find the energy to motivate yourself into doing ridiculous amounts of original research.

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy. Not too many people have what it takes to push themselves so hard without a boss looking over their shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Work smarter, not harder. One $150 digital thermometer with a serial output and a salvaged computer later, I'm hard at work in the lab and in my office at the same time. Maybe that's the difference between a technical field and, um, the other kind... the kind with words in it.

SlimP
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 AM

I work at a law firm part time during school and full time currently, mostly surfing the internet reading this forum alot, trying to build my br up to when school starts full time again I can quit.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does being a grad student count? It's almost like a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, he he he he, ha ha ha ha haw haw he ha ha ha!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Being a *serious* grad student is prolly one of the most difficult jobs out there. You have to bust your ass to earn the respect of students who are barely younger than you, and once you've graded their papers you have to somehow find the energy to motivate yourself into doing ridiculous amounts of original research.

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy. Not too many people have what it takes to push themselves so hard without a boss looking over their shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Work smarter, not harder. One $150 digital thermometer with a serial output and a salvaged computer later, I'm hard at work in the lab and in my office at the same time. Maybe that's the difference between a technical field and, um, the other kind... the kind with words in it.

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

Digital...huh? Wha? Let us into your world, Slim!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"How many of you people have jobs that require PANTS?"

[/ QUOTE ]

A costly misconception.

While it is possible to be somewhat successful at internet poker without wearing pants, dressing nattily is essential for best results. Fine dress improves confidence and thus indirectly helps one "pull the trigger," in the common parlance.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">Cram your MBE subjects and learn enough of the others to be able to write something</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a lawyer for about two months. And let me just tell you, this profession sucks. It's hell. Waited tables on the beach for awhile, making about $150/night when I wanted to, after getting a worthless undergraduate degree in communications. Finally decided to get out of that menial, dead end job and go to law school. Well, right about now, serving drinks looks like a dream job from where I'm sitting. Dressing up in a suit every day at 7am and living by the clock until 7pm is not much fun, my friend.

Well, now that I've got that out of the way, you should know that the above-quoted bar exam advice is the most important thing you'll ever hear about this test. Do not waste your time studying all that much on the essays, but know your MBE material back and forth. The essays are bull$[censored]. I failed the bar my first go-round (on 4 days of studying--thanks online poker!) w/much better essay answers. One of my highest essay scores this time was the one I thought I literally didn't think I scored a point on. You can seriously just drop some lingo and pretend like you know what you're writing about and pass some of these essay questions, I kid you not. But know your freaking MBE.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:52 AM

gigabet works as a prostitute in las vegas nowadays
Old 06-28-2005, 03:52 AM

I know a lot of lawyers and they all have very different experiences.

My brother is a public defender and used to be a prosecutor and that is not nearly the grind that a job at a law firm is.

I work with Real Estate Attorneys and they may be bored, but they aren't run ragged.

A close friend represents an inventor and he really has an easy job and makes a lotta money.

A friend of my wife's worked a crazy law firm job, but that was the kind of thing she liked.

Another friend worked one of those jobs and had a mental breakdown.

It can certainly be tough, and especially the first few years. Good luck finding something that doesn't drive you crazy.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 AM

This thread has turned out a LOT different than I expected....I knew I was older than a lot of the posters but not that many [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have no intentions right now of playing for a living, while I don't make HUGE money, I'm a DINK with no debt and a 2000 twin-tubo vette in the garage [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm an Ex-Navy Nuclear Machinist Mate employed for the last 10 years as an Instructor, 7 of which, currently at a national REIT.

When I'm not in front of a class, and actually home in Tampa, I have a lot of flex time and can "double-dip." No way in hell I'm giving up medical coverage, 401k, etc. considering I can double or triple my take home playing part-time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 10:35 AM

I dont have a real job... Maybe in 7 years after I finish college, law school, and pass the bar....

Ugh, on second thought. Maybe i should just drop out and play poker for a living.

Nah.

-Myst
(Who isnt satisfied with $50/hr).