Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Party rakeback

I thought ODoyle was setting something up for a new startup site though.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:42 AM

I was under the impression he was looking to bargain with any site that would hear his proposals, but thought that such a site was far more likely to be a startup than an established site.

I could be wrong though, I haven't followed the whole thing too closely.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Johnny,

why have affiliates had their individual trackers removed then? I think Party is very aware of RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they are aware of rakeback... what I mean is, they are not aware of the power of their position relative to us (multitabling sharks). Others have said that they "have us by the balls", which I guess they do, but the point is they don't know that. We are too small a segment.

It's human nature to assume that others know something about you that could hurt you. Just because we're all keenly aware of the power dynamics between us (multitabling sharks) and Party Poker doesn't mean that Party Poker is the slightest bit aware of that same dynamic. What it means is, we should be more proactive in our bargaining and negotiation with Party.

If Party is approached by a large group of high-volume players they are gonna take notice. Every business in every industry has someone "by the balls." You have manufacturing companies that could essentially fire all their employees who are unskilled in any other trade and would be totally screwed. Yet these workers don't just accept whatever peanuts that corporate tosses down to them; they have powerful unions and they negotiate relatively cushy deals.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought ODoyle was setting something up for a new startup site though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:41 PM

I can think of one good reason why Party does NOT want to encourage rakeback.

Rakeback encourages existing players who are shipping 100% of their rake to party to change to accounts that only ship 75% of their rake to party. That would be a 25% hit for Party.

-v
Old 10-11-2005, 04:55 PM

I think the vast majority of 2+2ers are signed up on Party through one affiliate or another. Its pretty clear from my post that I was asking why Party would care what an affiliate does with the money it receives from Party, not that I was wondering why Party would prefer to retain all the rake as opposed to 65-70% of it.

It'd be interesting to know - not that anyone outside of Party execs will - how much of Party's total player base is signed up through an affiliate.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 PM

I answered your question.

They care what an affiliate does with his money because they care about people giving rake back. They are against the idea because it promotes people who already have an account to switch to another account under an affiliate who is giving rake back.

-v
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could help me clear something up, or fill in something that I'm missing. Why does Party care what an affiliate does with the money they receive? Are they trying to establish some de facto control on a company's spending and budgeting?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that rakeback should be allowed.

It involves too much on Party's end to pick and choose who gets it. What you saw happen this past weekend was Party's way of saying "WE DON'T ALLOW RAKEBACK AND IF YOU GUYS (players and affiliates) ARE GOING TO TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS, SO ARE WE". The situation got out of their control with the skins and they were able to regain control by detaching themselves.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What you guys received from your play on the skins should be considered a privilige and not looked at as a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The players get the blunt end of it, but you know what? Players aren't supposed to be getting rakeback to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you consider the tens (hundreds?) of thousands I'm sure you've made off your 140 signups?

I'm sure it was very, very hard work, and that the money barely compensates for all your time and effort.

Please, blow me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have any idea about who my players are or what I've done with them. The only thing you know about is the warped analysis of what you're able to gather in forums such as this.

My 140 players are all local players that we deal with on a day-to-day basis. They aren't 2+2ers, winning players, or power players. They are people that play 10 hours a month on average.

As far as the attention I have given them.....

You only know one way. Look around before you put your foot in your mouth. I personally work with all of my players concerning EVERYTHING. I do deposits. I do cashouts. I have spend countless hours with them on improving their games. I have purchased copies of Poker Tracker for them and have spent more time educating them on the functions of it than you could dream of. I have gone shopping for computers with them and have gone to the houses of "non-tech savys" to set systems up. I have spent an ENORMOUS amount of time on the phone with Party contacts in regards to whatever problems they've come across with their accounts. I see these players every day and my reputation with them is impeccable. They are fully aware of the money I make from their play and know that I have given it back to them ten-fold.

Next time, think very carefully before you open your mouth based on conclusions you've drawn from rakeback affiliates that don't offer what I do.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM

I was waiting for a response like this.

Do you disagree that there are plenty of affiliates who have gotten rich by doing relatively little?

Do you think they are somehow more deserving than the players that grind 50-100 hours each month?

Comments like these...

[ QUOTE ]
What you guys received from your play on the skins should be considered a privilige and not looked at as a loss.

The players get the blunt end of it, but you know what? Players aren't supposed to be getting rakeback to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

...imply that you do.