Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

Best: Syracuse winning the B'ball National Championship in '03. All the "experts" kept saying they were going to lose to every Big 12 team they played - HA - they went through them all. The only time ever one of my favorite teams won the whole thing in my lifetime. I finally realized why I devoted so much time to sports. All those heartbreaking OT losses in the tourney in the 80's & 90's....it was finally worth it.

Worst: This is going to sound weird as a Bills fan, but it wasn't the Giants SB. I just knew they'd be back. The last one against the Cowboys I just knew they were going to win. Everyone forgets this but they were actually ahead and controlling the game at halftime 13-6. Kelly was very efficient and the defense was holding up nicely. Moving the ball 1st possession of the 2nd half around midfield, Thurman fumbles, run back for TD, game over. WTF - Thurman never fumbled [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, Music City Mircale was the biggest bunch of crap ever, and I'm not even talking about the lateral. If anybody has the tape - watch the last 2 minutes of the 1st half - should've been 9-3 at halftime instead of 12-0. The officiating made the 1972 Olympic basketball game in Munich look fair in comparison.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Charles Smith against the Bulls? In my opinion that game was more disappointing than Starks in Game 7 against Houston. The Knicks were as good as the Bulls that year and I thought that was the Knicks' best chance to win it all (as long as Jordan was in the league).

Edit: Oh wait, I'm stupid. I see you've got it listed. Never mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jordan was playing baseball that year so that was the only reason the Knicks reached the finals. Also, The Bulls were robbed at the Garden in game 5 when Hugh Hollins made a phantom foul call on Scottie Pippen against Hubert Davis.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best

1. Joe Carter's homerun
2. Jim Boeheim gets his title

Worst
1. Kevin Dyson tackled one yard short
2. Keith Smart sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir - are a great man.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about Charles Smith against the Bulls? In my opinion that game was more disappointing than Starks in Game 7 against Houston. The Knicks were as good as the Bulls that year and I thought that was the Knicks' best chance to win it all (as long as Jordan was in the league).

Edit: Oh wait, I'm stupid. I see you've got it listed. Never mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jordan was playing baseball that year so that was the only reason the Knicks reached the finals. Also, The Bulls were robbed at the Garden in game 5 when Hugh Hollins made a phantom foul call on Scottie Pippen against Hubert Davis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah I remember that call for sure. Mystery call. You are right about them reaching the finals because Jordan was playing baseball too.

The one that killed me with the Knicks (other than Charles Smith) was that assinine brawl they had in Miami, which Charlie Ward started (1997). They all left the bench, got suspended, and lost the series. And then Pat Ewing spent the entire offseason complaining about how everyone was out to get him, not once taking responsibility -- either on his own behalf or on behalf of the team -- for violating a clear rule and costing the Knicks and their fans another run at the title. I dropped my Knicks tickets after that.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Music City Miracle - That pass was forward, everyone forgets how great Rob Johnson was that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say "great" but he made few enough mistakes to keep the game close and came up big when it mattered most in the end - which was basically the same thing Flutie had done all year against weaker competition. Of course, all of the Frutie-Flakes who worshipped the Midget blamed everything on Johnson...whatever.

BTW - The completion that set up the apparant game-winning FG took place with Johnson missing 1 of his shoes which came loose on the previous play...that should've gone down as one of the most dramatic playoff drives ever [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 05:31 PM

Best --

1. The 1995 Orange Bowl, Nebraska vs. Miami. It's the 4th quarter, the Huskers are down 17 - 9, and Tommie Frazier comes back in the game. As Frazier went under center, I can still hear Chris Collinsworth say, "Nebraska cannot run the option against this Miami defense . They're going to have to find another way to move the ball." Two plays later, Schleschenger is in the end zone and NU ties the game with a two point conversion. Then Frazier drives NU down the field the next possession, and the fullback trap works to perfection again, as Schlesh scores another TD. After all of the pain and suffering for Husker fans for years, we finally get our national title.

1b. Doug Williams ridiculous 2nd quarter against Denver in the Super Bowl.

2. 1986 World Series, Mets vs. Red Sox. After Dave Henderson hit that two run homer in the top of the 10th, and the mets were down to Gary Carter and their last out in the bottom of the 10th, I said sadly "there's no way they can come back and win." My mom's cousin immediately said, "They can still come back. It's not over until the game is over. Anything is possible." We all know what happened after that. I was in 6th grade at the time, and ever since then I've watched every game until the end.

3. The 1997 Nebraska at Missouri game. Husker's are down a TD and have the ball near midfield with 51 seconds left and no timeouts. Scott Frost suddenly turns into Joe Montana and leads NU down the field. And then the final play of regulation there is the kicked ball which WR Davison catches in the back of the endzone as time expires. I can still hear Musburger scream "Touchdown Nebraska!" The Huskers go on to win the national title.

4. You can insert about 12 Reggie Miller moments here.

Worst --

1. The 1994 Orange Bowl, Nebraska vs. FSU, when the referees literally stole the game from the Huskers. There was the phantom clip, which is undoubtedly the worst call in the history of college football -- no one was even close to clipping anyone on that play, and still to this day, no one has pointed out who the refs' thought clipped someone. And there was the clear fumble on the 1 yard line on Florida State's first drive of the second half which the refs called a td. The kick at the end of the game sucked too. I literally felt pain and anger for a year after that.

2. 13 of the last 14 times the Redskins have played Dallas. I was literally sick the following day after the 2 losses last year.

3. The 1998 NBA Eastern Conference Finals, Game 7, Indiana at Chicago. The Pacers started the game on like a 15-0 run, and were running the Bulls out of their own building. No one on Chicago except for Toni Kukoc could make a shot in the first half. So the refs started calling ridiculous fouls on the Pacers to keep the Bulls in it. There were like 6 or 7 Pacers with 3 or 4 fouls by halftime, and the Bulls had no one with more than 2. Anyone who thinks Michael Jordan is the best player of all time is a fool.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After Dave Henderson hit that two run homer in the top of the 10th

[/ QUOTE ]

Solo shot. Then the Sox tacked on another run.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Best: the 1978 play-off game against Boston, the F-ing Bucky Dent game. Maybe the greatest baseball game ever. Sorry, Sox fans, I mean that as a compliment to your team. The fact that Yaz was the final batter was part of its greatness.

Worst: The final game of the 2001 World Series where the Yankees lost in the bottom of the 9th.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Orange Bowl Big 8/12 Moment

This made me remember when retard Bill McCartney kicked to Rocket. My father and I laughed for about 5 solid minutes. Before the game retard McCartney suspended a player who responded to a media question about special teams by saying they weren't going to kick to the Rocket. Since he divulged classified material he got in trouble. Then moron kicks to him anyway, maybe to prove some point. Terrible that it didn't burn him worse.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best: the 1978 play-off game against Boston, the F-ing Bucky Dent game. Maybe the greatest baseball game ever. Sorry, Sox fans, I mean that as a compliment to your team. The fact that Yaz was the final batter was part of its greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than '75 Game 6, for example? Or '86 Game 6 Mets/Astros?