Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Bush43..3rd best prez..all-time!!!

[ QUOTE ]
like it or not..

history will proclaim gwb as 3rd best prez of usa al time

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if "history" is the nickname of a crazy person.

I'm not sure how you can say that. I don't know that someone who has led the country into 2 unresolved wars whose outcome is less then certain but; could lead to renewed civil wars and the spread of global terrorism. An administration rife with scandal. A president with record level low approval ratings. A president that has sent the national debt soaring while spending money like it grows on trees. He is the president he was perhaps, more then anyone else, led to the US losing whatever esteem it had in the eyes of the rest of the world (friends and enemies alike).

I think History will trace his presidency as the start of decades of problems.

On top of that, a President who's led down a lot of his own followers except for, perhaps, religious fundamentalists.

Icing on the cake; he seems so inarticulate and befuddled, I think people will be laughing at/or get emabarrassed by him for years...

I'm not sure how you can believe he'll be seen as a great.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: I will bet you $1000 that...........

Then it is a push.
He must be convicted on either:
1. Conspiracy and/or
2. Money Laundering

DeLay has said numerous times that he will not take any plea and he is fighting this all the way. So I'm confident there will be one winner and one loser in this bet...

The charges are 100% baseless. My only concerns about this bet is the judge and the location of the trial (Travis County). Judge Bob Perkins a democrat who has giving money to the DNC, John Kerry, and move-on.org. Motions have been filed for the judge to recuse himself and for the trial to be moved. Perkins recused himself when Ronnie Earle indicted Kay Baily Hutchingson but so far he has not agreed to recuse himself in this case. He is asking a higher judge to make this decison. Translation: He wants to be the judge over this case. Even if he does not recuse himself and this goes to trial in Travis County it would take a VERY dishonest judge not to try this on the evidence. If Judge perkins turns out to be a Ronnie-Earle type partsan zealot, then I'll be stuck a $1000.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Default MCain Has No Political Values other Than to Be Popular

I can't stand John McCain.
I would choose Bush43 over him anyday........ At least Bush43 would appoint originalist judges.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Knowing what I know now..........

.....I would still vote for Bush43 over both Gore and Kerry.

I had high hopes for Bush43 and he has betrayed them. George Allen is my pick now.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: THE BET IS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
After exchanging several PMs on terms I found a liberal poster who has agreed to the $1000 bet.

I will win $1000 if one of the following happens:
1. The Ronnie Earle indictments get dropped and DeLay never goes to trial.
2. A trial a occurs and Delay gets acquited on BOTH counts.

I lose a $1000 if:
*DeLay get convicted on EITHER the conspiracy or the Money Laundering charge.

Any other scenario not covered by these terms is a push.

I'm glad there is at least one liberal poster on this forum with a SET OF BALLS to match his mouth. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't take this bet because Delay is Judge shopping.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: OK, Looks Like I\'m Wrong

It is impossible for Bush to pander to the left as there is nothing he wants to get from the left.

There appears to be a knee jerk reaction amongst some that any policy that they oppose is "pandering to the left". I found it in the frontpage link you posted as well as your comments here about pandering to the left.

Thanks for the lesson. Will learn to ignore these knee jerk reactions as opposed to the reasoned arguments offered by academic scholars.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Judge Bob Perkins gave money to John Kerry, the DNC, and MoveOn.org. DeLay would be a fool not to ask this judge to recuse himself.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 AM

Did anyone hear that the first words out of Delay's lawyer's mouth today was to LIE to the judge about Moveon.org having a t-shirt of Delay's now infamous mug shot?

oooops.

-ptmusic
Old 10-24-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After exchanging several PMs on terms I found a liberal poster who has agreed to the $1000 bet.

I will win $1000 if one of the following happens:
1. The Ronnie Earle indictments get dropped and DeLay never goes to trial.
2. A trial a occurs and Delay gets acquited on BOTH counts.

I lose a $1000 if:
*DeLay get convicted on EITHER the conspiracy or the Money Laundering charge.

Any other scenario not covered by these terms is a push.

I'm glad there is at least one liberal poster on this forum with a SET OF BALLS to match his mouth. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Felix,

You can easily middle this bet. Intrade is offering DeLay conviction at 15 which means 15% chance of conviction. Assuming 15% holds, you can bet $214.50 on conviction on each count. Then, if DeLay gets convicted on one count, you have made $1000 on Intrade to pay your bet (you get paid $1430 if there is just one conviction). If DeLay were to be convicted on both counts, you'd profit $1,431. Finally, if DeLay is not convicted, although you'd lose the $429 in Intrade futures, you'd gain $571 from your bet. I haven't taken the time to figure out how much to bet to make sure you don't lose any money (as you would in the case of just one conviction) but that shouldn't be too hard to figure.

I'd love it if you take this approach because then you'd be best off if DeLay were convicted on both counts!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: I Have Officially Become 100% Disillusioned with Bush43

[ QUOTE ]
trying to do away with social security, getting more brazen with anti-choice judicial picks, getting even deeper into Iraq by sending more troops, making bankruptcy tougher on more Americans, protecting corporations from lawsuits, giving huge $$$ to the oil industry, treating Katrina like a big corporate welfare opportunity, et cetera.

Given my views, you'd think the right, which usually disagrees with me, would feel better than ever about GWB. But they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because this administration, and other conservatives in US politics are guilty of these things, doesn't mean that this is the ideal of principled conservatives in America. Being conservative is about being honest and trustworthy, hardworking and virtuous. Believe it or not, no one anywhere will tell you that corruption in government is a good thing, so when the Bush administration does this poor a job of didsguising the truth of what is happening as a good thing, everyone, left and right, will be unhappy.